1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available Fbass BNF 5, Ebony Bridge, Piezo, BNF5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by 31HZ, Dec 27, 2018.

1. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

Price:
    $2600
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    United States
    DSC05176a.jpg

EDIT: I pulled it from sale early in the year, but it's back on the market (again). Sadly my gigs call for a more mid-forward modern sound than this bass produces, and I can't justify keeping it for practice. Price dropped again, too.

Gorgeous, good shape mid-90s BNF5 -- the most "organic" and "woody"-feeling, playing, and sounding bass that I've ever owned. Black/Turquoise Ceruse, with ebony bridge with piezo under-bridge pickup (see my additional commentary below), and also regular Fbass pickups with active preamp. Strung B-G with exposed-core Fbass-brand strings. 19mm string spacing. Obligatory weight measurement: 9lb 8oz (I don't like heavy basses, but this one wears lighter than the stat would suggest).

From George Furlanetto:
    The ebony fingerboard has a small amount of wear. Sits on a strap and balances so very well, and the long upper horn allows easier access to the first few frets than ANYTHING I've ever played. Satin finish on the back of the neck. With the combination of pickup types and the 3-band active EQ, there are a wide variety of tones available, from somewhat-burpy J-bass to warm upright, though I'd say that vintage-type tones are more readily coaxed than is modern "deep-sizzle" or "mid-forward bark." Good mwah, sustain and "note swell." And again, it is a 34" scale, though it actually feels smaller yet to me (I also have a 34.5" fretless FBass, and the difference between the two seems more substantial than half-an-inch).

It's been played, and it shows. There are a few chips in the finish at the top of the headstock, and a few small dings in the body (one at the edge of the bridge pickup, and one along the edge of the body) which are photographed in the pictures below. The finish is a bit swirled, but not scratched. There is some light chipping of the finish along the edges of the pickup covers, and a small finish chip at the edge of the nut on the B-string side of the neck. There is also a crack in one of the wood knobs, though it does not affect its function. I've tried to photograph everything that someone might want to know about so that there are no surprises, but I would be happy to take additional photos or answer specific questions by request.

I've only owned this bass for about six months (EDIT: it's coming up on two years) and thought that I could fit it in well with the loud rock-with-horns band that I'm in, but it's not working the way that I thought it would, and I have other fretless basses that "speak" better in a cluttered mix. I do love to play this bass, though, and it will be enormously missed.

Bass plays well and is setup for medium action. Recent string change with Fbass exposed-core strings. Includes functional-but-tired gig bag. Priced to move.

Note regarding the piezos: This bass did not originally ship with a piezo; someone added it at some point. I was confused by Low Class's comment at first, but having found out more about FBass piezos it makes more sense.

Here is the thread from when I purchased it:
    Fbass BNF 5 Mid 90's with Ebony Bridge and Piezo

Price includes shipping east of the Mississippi.

i-73JFdzP-X4.jpg

i-WVsmzHb-X4.jpg

i-cx8VVqk-X4.jpg

i-ZzwqWzz-X4.jpg

i-4HsN7Tk-X4.jpg

i-hGnSxLP-X4.jpg

i-ZqxvZkr-X4.jpg

i-xVXVKkd-X4.jpg

i-7j4SxMC-X4.jpg

i-T7w35X6-X4.jpg

i-bpdSpRq-X3.jpg

i-HxbFH7K-X3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  2. schott1984

schott1984 Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Saint John, IN
    Beautiful!

What strings are those with the tiny core only taper?

3. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

Those are the Fbass strings. :thumbsup:

I edited the original post. Thanks!

4. schott1984

schott1984 Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Saint John, IN
    Of only I could learn to read the OP lol.

No trade interest? I have a thread with 3 up for trade. Also possibly a 1990 Warwick Thumb NT 5 string.

5. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

Checked out your thread. Nothing that speaks to me immediately ... but those are nice basses. I'll think about it. :)

6. Those F-Bass strings have a lot in common with LaBella Supersteps, with the exposed core construction. In case you don't wanna go thru F-Bass to procure them. Beautiful fretless strings, they also go well with Warwicks, I've found. I have a really nice 1990 Streamer Stage 1 fretless 5 that I need to try a set on. Thanks fer the reminder.
    That F-Bass you have here is gorgeous! I've never tried one, but heard glorious things. Good luck with the sale, man. Great price. It shouldn't last long.

kerryg and 31HZ like this.
  7. Nakoatron

Nakoatron Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Fort Worth, Texas
    what a babe good luck with sale!

31HZ likes this.
  8. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

It might not work well with the band yet, but I can't stop playing it.

Off the market. :smug:

9. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

BACK ON THE MARKET

I'm more of a modern-tone MTD guy when it comes to fretless, apparently. :D

10. Weight ? ....".Please say it’s really heavy so I can stop gassing.

GLWTS

11. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

Ha! I forgot how important that measurement is. I'm going to guess that it is around 9 pounds (it's not very heavy), and I'll weigh it ASAP.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  12. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    This bass just has the ebony bridge option, not the piezo. You can tell by the saddles.

13. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

I appreciate the input, and I think you are likely to know more about Fbass electronics than do I, but I'm not so sure about that.

It sure sounds like a piezo, and when you blend out the piezo pickup it sounds much like you would expect a bridge and/or a neck pickup to sound like (the magnetic pickups have their own blend pot).

My understanding was that the older style piezos were mounted under the bridge, and weren't part of the saddles.

I'd be happy to be corrected on this, should this not be the case. :thumbsup:

14. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    That could be possible. You can send an email to F Bass with the serial # and they'll tell you every detail on it.

31HZ likes this.
  15. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

OK, back on the market for real.

I wanted to find out more about the pickups, and what I found out (someone added a piezo at some point) has been included in the description. (Thanks, @Low Class.)

I've bought multiple basses in the last six months. Something's got to go. :(

mikezimmerman likes this.
  16. Stewart13

Stewart13 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Bend, Oregon
    Gorgeous bass!

17. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Do you know the string spacing?

18. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

19mm, stock FBass spacing. I will update the listing. Thanks!

19. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

9lb 8oz, but I would have been sure that it was lighter. It wears like a substantially lighter bass.

20. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I think I owned this exact bass many years ago, and it’s fantastic.

Edit: yeah, looking at that little bit of the serial # and the same color with the piezo added, I'm now much more sure it's it. Great bass!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    mikezimmerman and 31HZ like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021