Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fbass verses Nordstrand ........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poman, Sep 22, 2004.

1. poman

poman Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    I have a Nordstrand coming in, but I have a chance to pick up a Fbass also. The only thing is...are these too much alike, or are they tonally different. To those who have owned both...what's your pick ? I've never tried either one...but have heard great things on both ends ( I'm not one that likes to keep two of the same tones ). I'm sure this thread may get heated :bag: :D

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've had a few Nordstrands come through and quite a few Fbasses. Both Amazing instruments and very different. However I know there have been a few Nordstrands with Fbass preamps and I'm not sure how the sound in comparison with the same preamp. Are you getting a Bolt-on Nord or Neck-through? That will have a lot to do with difference between them.

If you have the funds, you might just buy the Fbass and compare for your self and sell the one that doesn't work out for you.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I have had pretty extensive experience with both-
    Even with an F bass preamp, they sound different than an F bass. Both are fantastic. If the Nordstrand you are getting is a set neck, it will sound even more different than an F . Neither is better. Both are wonderful and different, had a chance to play an Ash and Maple bolt on "Access Bass" model with an F bass preamp and Dual Coils and ordered one with the very same specs.Those two happen to be my favorite basses , I also love a good 5 string Jazz bass, but Nordstrand and F are at the top of my list.

4. poman

poman Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    I just traded for a SC5 with the Aggie OBP-3 and the newer PU's, with a mytle top. The F bass is a Studio...which I think I might actually really dig with the more vintage feel. Which in you guys opinion is more aggressive and chunkier.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    IMO, the Nordie with the Aggie pre may get you a slightly more aggressive tone because the output of the electronics to me is a bit higher, but that's not to say that the Fbass isn't growly or anything like that. Both great basses...I currently own an Fbass, but I'd love to get another Nordie as soon as I can afford one.

6. poman

poman Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    I bought them both...so I'll find out :bassist:

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
  8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    my man! you're as sick as some of us ( certainly me )-
    i just acquired two basses, with the idea of choosing one and selling the other... but now i want to keep both! we are doomed!
    you just got two of the best the bass world has to offer.

9. poman

poman Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    I'm out of stuff to sell !! If I like them both what do I have to cough up, my Wal....Sadowsky...NOPE . I may be screwed if I dig them both :crying: ....well or maybe just broke :bassist:

10. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hahahaha :) I know how you feel... I've got a Nordie on order and probably have to sell my Sadowsky when it's finished... trying really hard to come up with a way to earn enough cash by the year end so that I can afford to keep both of them :p

11. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I really need to try out a Nordstrand. I know I really like fbasses. I love mine.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Careful. If you try one, you will have to buy one. At least that was my experience!:D

13. eldoctorbass

eldoctorbass Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Northampton, Mass
    I sold the F yesterday and have seller's remorse, but I'll live :( The are amazing basses.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Studio 5 is killin'. It's my ideal 70's 5 string Jazz.

I'd like to take a Nordstrand on a gig.

At this point I'm only interested in stuff that'll give me a different vibe from what I already own... or a stupid deal (of course). That gets hard and harder to do with each passing day. I just traded my Smith for a Quilted Maple/Alder Elrick NJS 5...

:eek:

Talk about a different vibe (from my other Elricks):D

15. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I have the Nordie Adrian (AccessBass Model) refers to with the F bass preamp, bolt on maple neck/Fingerboard/Ash body, Carey's dual coil pups. I think that bass sounds very close to a F bass...but I just love Carey's works much more than a F bass. The neck is much more comfy and the body just hang much better IMO. The body is a little smaller and much lighter than F.

I also have another Nordie (AccessBass Model) with poplar body and set neck..F bass preamp/Carey's dual coil pups...but this bass is no where close to a F bass sound...the sound is more like a Foderish :smug: So....it's all depends on what wood combo and preamp you choose.

The bottom line is I have owned F basses 5 and 6 strings...now I have 5 and 6 string Nordies...IMO is just better for me..but F bass is a great bass too! You just have to try them out and find out for yourself. :eek: F bass has its own unique sound and that's the F bass sound. Nordie, you got more options with different wood/preamp/pups combo. Your choice :hyper:

16. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Brad, anytime you want to try a Nordie..let me know! :eek:

17. poman

poman Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    Well I'm really hoping there's a clear cut favorite for me ! I may have to let my Wal Mach III five'r go if there's not :bawl: I really think I like the Mach II bodies better anyway though....so I could pick up one of those down the road I guess ( worst case ). I get the Nord. in tommorrow...it was Thumpers...has a Myrtle top ymmmm !

18. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow cool...that particular bass history....Mike Z, me, Thumper and now you!! That bass has Carey's dual coil/Aggie OBP3 pre. Does not sound like a F bass at all. Neck is more like a MTD.. You'll love it!!! 35" neck..so it's little different than a regular Nordie. Let us know your feedback :D

19. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Hman, what is the other Nord you have? I'm familiar with the 6 string and the burst one with the bolt-on. I am only aware of two AB models, the burst and Adrian's.

20. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm referring to Adrian's bass...I'm testing them out and getting a totally different sounds in just the wood combo :)