FBass VFF6-PJ Build Wait Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Jun 26, 2017.

1. I've finalized specs and sent a down payment last week to begin the build of my second FBass. I have enjoyed my BN6 so much, that I decided I also want a VF6 Fretless.

FBass VFF6-PJ
    Maple Center Block with Ash wings, 3-pc Maple neck
    Finish: Lake Placid Blue with Tort pickguard
    Fretless Gabon Ebony fingerboard with BNF-style fret markers in the upper register.
    P / J Pickup Configuration
    34.5" Scale
    24 fret range, 19mm spacing
    Chrome hardware.

I wanted a chrome pickup cover over the P-pickup but Marcel advised there are no covers large enough for a 6-string.

Also, I had originally inquired about a splittable humbucker in the bridge position. Marcel said they/Aguilar don't offer a splittable humbucker at this time. They are considering one by the fall, but they're planning it for the BN/BNF models.

I will be posting progress pictures as Marcel provides them to me.

2. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Not a big 6 string guy, but I dig your style. That'll be a sweet bass for sure.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  3. I've heard back from Marcel. My build is official and has been placed in the queue. Construction will begin in about 2 months.

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  4. Confirmed a detail today. The PJ pickups will be from Aguilar.

pickups_ag6pjhc_main_1.jpg

5. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Sounds very interesting have they made a vf6 I can't recall seeing one.

Nevermind I found pics of Rich Browns bass

TolerancEJ likes this.
  6. I have seen that one before. It looks fantastic!

My build will be a VF6 Fretless in Lake Placid Blue w/ Tort pickguard.

7. kittywithabanjo

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Sounds awesome Fbass is one of the few brands I have gas for....I have a surf green pj5 Dave Reimer bass due soon.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  8. Received an update today. Due to NAMM builds stepping up, my bass will be delayed 2 1/2 months.

However my bass will now be built by George personally up to the finishing process. That was an unexpected surprise.

DiabolusInMusic and Novarocker like this.
  9. Received excellent news today that my VF6-PJ Fretless is currently being built by Mr. F Bass himself, George.

You are reading correctly. I ordered in June 2017, had it fully paid by September, and it has only begun January 2018. Proud to see FBass getting so much love from musicians around the world. :woot:

s3R9tiQ_d.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  10. kittywithabanjo

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    So when can I try it :bassist:

TolerancEJ likes this.
  11. Hey! :) I had forgotten you’re sort-of nearby. It actually would be cool to meet another TB’er, especially another who would truly appreciate this beauty. There was a Vancouver GTG awhile ago that I wasn’t able to make.

Marcel’s timeline including finishing estimates 2.5 months, so mid-March.

12. kittywithabanjo

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I do frequent the local bass geekiness sessions when I can...

13. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Dig the color options, looking forwrd to see how it looks.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  14. @nonohmic I'm sort of expecting this concept: I've attached a pic of a VF5-PJ but mine will be a 6-string and it will have a fretless fingerboard. I've also included a pic of a BNF6, to use the neck as a reference.

Actually, using my phone, I zoomed-in on Marcel's build pic (a few posts above). Indicated in pencil, I see they're putting a BNF neck onto the VF body.
    vf5pj.jpg
    bnf_1_final.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. I had originally wanted a chrome pickup cover over the P-pickup but Marcel informed me no companies manufacture one large enough for a 6-string.

16. jasesng

jasesng Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Singapore
    Dingwall Guitars (Endorser)
    Some possiblities here at the bottom of the page:
    ATELIER Z GUITAR WORKS|Accessories

TolerancEJ likes this.
  17. Hey! That’s very cool.

Hmm... I’ve never played a bass with a pickup cover. Should I go through with it, or will I just end up taking the pickup cover off again?

18. kittywithabanjo

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I guess it depends where you play in relationshio to the p pick up I usually play a bit behind it on my PJ..

TolerancEJ likes this.
  19. As I just posted in the FBass Club thread, I received an update on my VF6-PJ Fretless from Marcel. They're just waiting for a custom Hipshot Bent Plate string-through bridge, and fit the neck. Then off to the spray booth for the Lake Placid Blue finish. :hyper:

zVRVTgx.jpg

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I have always wanted to try an F-Bass. I considered them for a custom fretless build last year but they out of my price range. I did somewhat cop their position markers for my build though, I have dots at every position over the 12th.

Attached Files:

kittywithabanjo and TolerancEJ like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021