1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fdeck pre EA Doubler question?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by FritzM, Jun 24, 2014.

1. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    I'm thinking about getting an Fdeck Hpf, I just have one question: Will the Fdeck pre improve the sound going from a 1 meg ohm input on my EA Doubler to a 10meg ohm input on the Fdeck.
    My URB sounds great through the Doubler, but my Ergo EUB is not so great. I use a Realist on the URB and the Ergo has inexpensive piezo contacts under the bridge. I want to eliminate some of the clacky piezo sound from the Ergo and seems it to sound a little distorted at times. Again, the URB is fine.

Thanks!

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Don't expect the change in input impedance from 1 to 10 Mohm to produce a marked improvement, although you may achieve some. If that would be the primary reason for getting the Fdeck (and not the HPF, polarity-inversion, and level control), then it's likely not going to be satisfactory. I suggest that you look toward taming the piezo "honk" via judicious use of tone-shaping. Either that or install a better piezo-- or both.

3. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Thanks, that is the answer I was looking for. The Doubler already has phase, notch control, etc. So now I will look for a better piezo option for the Ergo. Basically, it has two under the bridge piezo ceramic contacts, about 15mm in diameter. Any suggestions? Two Realists would be pricey.

4. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Yup, I use the Doubler with the Ehrlund. Short of using one of the pickups, such as the Realist, with which players have had success, not sure what else to do.

5. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Realist would be better because it is an under the bridge foot type pickup. But it being a solid body, it might require one under each foot. I guess I need two higher quality piezo flat disk type elements. Maybe Dtar? I'm not sure. Barbera makes a viable option, but its $500. Almost the cost of the bass!

6. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Discuss the issue with the mfr of Ergo?

7. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Well, I have discussed some options with Jesse. I really want a magnetic/piezo combo. I used to have a NS CR5m and wished I had never sold it. I don't want a traditional URB sound as I already have that. At some point I guess I will get a CR4m. I was trying to get close to that sound without spending 3k. Maybe it can't be done. I'd like an Eberhard W. kind of sound for some recording projects. Some say like a giant fretless, but personally, I don't think Eberhard's bass sounds like that.
    I just want a warm, singing sound.

8. Eberhard Weber's sound comes mostly from using effects like modulation (of a delay line) and some reverb. And don't forget that he uses an additional high C string.

Piezo disks can benefit from a higher input impedance than1 MegOhm. I made a pickup myself for my EUB that sounds nice but has a rather weak output signal. I used a 10 MegOhms input impedance for them.

Even if the FDeck HPFpre doesn't enhance the sound (the best neutral device you can get for that), you can benefit from the high pass filter (and it may clean things up like those in your problem).

9. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Indeed, piezos can benefit from higher input impedance than 1 Mohm. The question is by how much. Going from 1 Mohm to 10 Mohm, as I said, is not likely to solve an aversive piezo "honk." Yes, the Fdeck is a great device and the HPF is a valuable and effective feature. The HPF will not, however, tame the honk of a piezo which is very much a midrange problem. So, unless the OP would find the Fdeck useful for other reasons, there's little point in his purchasing it with the hope of the higher impedance input making a substantial dent in his problem.

10. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    True - so many variables. Though I can say that playing with a preamp that has a variable input impedance can be an eye-opener; the Basswitch has a 1meg/10meg switch on it, and the change in tone and "full-bodied-ness" is pretty dramatic when used with a bass with, for instance, a Realist on it. It may not "kill the honk" as Les said, but chances are very good that it will "change" the overall character. For the better? Only your ears can judge.

But the tonal effect of various levels of buffering is why I want one of these for my home studio so badly: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan12/articles/magneto-variohm.htm