1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fearful cabs: simple answers.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whocaresnotme, Mar 23, 2010.

1. whocaresnotme

whocaresnotme

Jun 21, 2009
    While trying to read thru as much info as I could re: Fearful style cabs my eyes started to bleed. The amount of info is overwhelming.

Can any of you cab experts on TB give me some simple reasoning on this issue?

To digress:
    I go way back to ancient Ampeg and Fender Bassman stuff. Most of the time one single very large and heavy 2x15 cab was the normal. Hated them!!
    The first time I heard a 4x10 cab my knees got weak it sounded so good.
    Loved them!
    My current set up is 2 2x10 LDS cabs stacked vertically. I run them with a Walter Woods 1200 watt amp. At almost any venue I get what I want.

I suppose I just don't get what the fearful thing is all about. Don't get me wrong, please. I am not being argumentative and honestly want to know because I can afford to buy one without selling off my current cabs and want to know if I should.

1. What does a fearful cab do that my normal set-up won't?
    2. Why do all of the configurations revolve around a 6" speaker
    3. Why is the combination of a 6 with a larger speaker sonically better?
    4. Is the 6" speaker normally a mid-range driver or is it a combo tweeter/mid.
    5. Is it really worth changing from hauling 2 2x10's @ 42lbs each to hauling a single cab @ 80-90 lbs.
    6. What is the most popular configuration?

I am of the school that if it sounds good to me then that is good enough. Some of this may be subjective but I have faith in the TB community to give me straight info.

Thanks for your time.

2. I'd go along with that plea as well. I'm intrigued by the fEarfuls (to the point of starting a build). And I've read through as many of the posts an all the threads as I can, and read the Wiki and I still don't know the difference between the 15/6 and a FearB15

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You might get more replies if this were in the Amps Forum.

4. That's an easy one! FEaRB15 are for Extended Range Basses, ie for lower than b tunings. If you don't have a bass like this, you'll get more volume in the standard as far as I understand it.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    1. What does a fearful cab do that my normal set-up won't?

Extend a half octave lower, and at least a half-octave higher off-axis. That is, when you stand 30 degrees out of line with your woofers, they fall off around 1500-2khz. The 6" driver in the fEarful extends to around 3500hz before losing intelligibility.

Also, you will have almost flat response (think like a studio monitor) from 50hz to 5khz, which is unheard of in bass amplification. Your 2x10s will fall off by 4khz if not lower (or have a massive dip until the tweeter kicks in), and be -3db by 70hz and -10db by 50hz in most cases. Also, your average 2x10 is displacement limited at about half to a quarter the watts of a 15/6 in bass applications.

2. Why do all of the configurations revolve around a 6" speaker

Better performance when you are not within line of your cabinet, and because it has the parameters like PA 10" drivers have that provide high end extension and smooth response.

3. Why is the combination of a 6 with a larger speaker sonically better?

Better off axis, and better low end (because of the characteristics of the 3015LF/3012LF, not because of the size of the speaker).

4. Is the 6" speaker normally a mid-range driver or is it a combo tweeter/mid.

It's a midrange driver and does not expend much above 5khz.

5. Is it really worth changing from hauling 2 2x10's @ 42lbs each to hauling a single cab @ 80-90 lbs.

A single 15/6 will get as loud as your current stack given enough wattage, so going from hauling two 42lb cabs to hauling one 45lb cab is absolutely worth it.

6. What is the most popular configuration?

It varies by your needs. I would recommend anyone who has a high wattage amp (like your WW 1200) get a 15/6 and see if you need more.

Adding a 12/6 to a 15/6 is a great idea if you have a stereo power amp. If not, a pair of 12/6s is a great idea.

You could replace each of your 2x10s with a 30-35lb 12/6, absolutely.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    That sums it up neatly.

And I can add that after playing bass for over 20 years, I'd never heard a cab that sounded this good.

7. whocaresnotme

whocaresnotme

Jun 21, 2009
    Mr. RP sands,

Thank you so very much. I do appreciate that.

8. whocaresnotme

whocaresnotme

Jun 21, 2009
    I do have 2 more questions.
    1. will I miss the tweeter? I like a little ice.
    2. will I miss the "punch" of a 10" loaded cab.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. you might. hard to say. but you could always add one if it's that important. tweeters are easy to add on a fearful.

2. nope. do you miss the punch of 10"s when you listen to your bass through a big pa? ;) however, normal bass cabs do have a character of their own that's very pleasing to many, and these fearful type cabs might sound a little hi-fi to some. i like them but i also like my 810.

10. I've heard that the idea of the fearfuls is that you can eq in your sound, not the cab sound. Want punch? turn a dial not change a cab.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    At a recent large car show gig I had, my shorter LDS 15/6 cranking out close to 1000w at 8 ohms. The feeling of the cab reminded me of an 810 that I had used on a number of occasions at a rehearsal studio. Bass that was punchy yet full and deep. Considering the size and weight of my cab (42LBS) it was quite something. But yes, I did use eq to get me there. The key is that the cab could handle the wattage and what the eq settings were asking of it.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020