1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feed and Seed, Fletcher NC

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by unbrokenchain, Aug 10, 2019.

1. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    Just played a bluegrass gig last night at Feed and Seed in Fletcher. I was expecting it to be some kind of old timey tourist-type mercantile store like the Hampton Country Store up in Linville as I play there too sometimes. Nope, this place is a total unicorn.

Turns out the building is an old mercantile store, but now it serves as a church on Sundays and they do bluegrass shows on Friday and Saturday. Not being so much a, uh, churchy kinda guy I was a little apprehensive when I started setting up, but there was no proselytizing or anything other than one of the best, most sober and attentive audiences I've ever witnessed. A mostly older and more outwardly conservative crowd than anything we get in Asheville, but 100% more attention span. Show started at 7:30pm. The seats (pews) were mostly filled by 6pm... They were almost silent while we set up and soundchecked. I didn't see anyone on their smart phone the entire night.

Here's how our two sets went: we'd start a song and nearly everyone in the front couple rows would get out in couples on the (fairly modest) dance floor and swing heartily, then they'd immediately sit back down at the end of each song. It was so easy to tell what people enjoyed by how many folks got up to dance. You could hear a pin drop after the applause. There's an explicit rule that the band needs to inform the audience before playing a gospel song, so that everyone can stand, take off hats, and nobody dances for gospel.

Our performance was admittedly pretty poor, it's common around here for a particular "group" to have different members from show to show, such that the "band name" really just refers to the leader and whoever they happen to bring that night, and sometimes it works out well. Last night, eh not so much. Mandolin and guitar were battling for tempo, made my job a little tough, fiddle player isn't used to playing sober :rolleyes: , and guitar player/singer got nerves and didn't play as well as usual. I felt pretty good about my part though, and Phil Jones cab 27 was perfect for the environment. I sang a few numbers and found it almost effortless, to me it's so palpably easier to sing to an attentive room, a welcome juxtaposition to the myriad breweries.

The audience seemed to dig it even in its imperfection, were enthusiastic and complimentary. If you're in the Western NC area and you're looking for traditional bluegrass, check this place out. It really feels like going back in time. I'd love to play there again with an act that has it together. Not the place for Dawg type jams or getting loose, but they've got something cool going on.

james condino, marcox and Keyser Soze like this.
  2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

When I moved to the deep south almost twenty years ago, I met a neighbor who was a photojournalist by trade and a serious hobbyist multi-instrumentalist musician. He was then heavily involved in the flourishing regional bluegrass scene and took me to an amazing place that was old then and is still going strong today. it's like the venue you describe only, perhaps, more so. Early in the evening there are about half a dozen full-blown jam sessions going on in the every room in the house, then, later, there's "the big show" in the barn. At the time I went, there was a handmade sign outside that said, if I recall correctly, "No Alcohol, No Cursing, No Long Hair." I think there was a little wiggle room on the "long hair" thing but not the others. "Traditional" does not begin to describe the culture of this place. Everett's Music Barn in Suwanee, Georgia. Check this amazing place out!

Bluegrass Music - Everett's Music Barn

Everetts Music Barn

Everett's Music Barn (Suwanee) - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    marcox and unbrokenchain like this.
  3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Yup, for our main band that I play with, this is our favorite and most common kind of audience...

Don't be too quick to judge enjoyment by that, though, a lot of denominations just don't dance (don't ask me how I know :roflmao:).

Well that's the problem right there, you need a banjo player. :bassist:

Even though our main band is a Gospel band, we play a lot of secular venues, especially at festivals, most often for the Sunday Morning shows, but also for other shows too. We absolutely love this kind of audience, and we love the "warehouse" environment too. In March we played at a festival at a horse ranch, and played inside their huge covered arena. Great fun!

unbrokenchain likes this.
  4. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019

There's a joint like this in Michigan called Bob's Barn. Had a similar sign about 'no swearin, no drinkin, etc', I don't think it had long hair on there tho, lol. We played there last year sometime, it was pretty cool. A bunch of local folks of every age just jamming together and drinking some coffee, sharing some breakfast. Lots of different instruments, some really cool solo acts. They do a webcast of it too so people can watch.

Bob's Barn Jamborees

unbrokenchain likes this.