1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Feedback, the good kind...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 67precision, Jan 23, 2012.

1. 67precision

67precision

Jan 25, 2011
    Up North, MN
    Hi all,

I am currently using a RAT reissue (the early 90's version) as well as an AP7 Jet Phaser for my dirty sound - depending on where I am in relation to my amp (Mesa Bass 400 w/ SWR 4x10) I can get some crazy beautiful (Adrian Belew-style circa Talking Heads Remain in Light) overtones. But the RAT is going down soon - it has gotten incredibly noisy in the past few months.

My question if you choose to answer is:

What kind of fuzz boxes/overdrives are people using these days?

Thanks in advance!

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    You're opening Pandora's Box...:)

3. Grrface

Grrface

Jun 26, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    If you want to stick with a rat type sound, go check out Fuzzrocious' Rat Tail. Probably the best Rat out there for bassists.

Fuzz? That's a can of worms. Smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine gets lots of love. Grey Stache and Iron Ether Oxide are hot too. Dig around the PYPB thread for other ideas. Good luck, you'll need it.

4. 67precision

67precision

Jan 25, 2011
    Up North, MN
    hah, I know - there are soooo many options. Thanks for your 2ยข - my search is only beginning!

5. If i were you I'd check out the Wooly Mammoth too .....it sounds so good I can't even begin to describe it=) also, a muff could be good...depends on what sound you're searching for in a fuzz. It would be great if you tried a gated and non gated fuzz, to be sure which you like more....its easier to come up with ideas if you're more specific...

6. A sample for anyone interested in the Grey Stache. This is in oscillation mode with no diodes, volume just past 12 o'clock and everything else set to 3 o'clock.. lots of Stache, and some other stuff, but the Stache is prominent. The other thing before the Stache is a Sansamp Classic for basic overdrive, so your mileage may vary.. (I can't bring myself to make that an acronym just yet..)

7. I prefer an OD for feedback over a fuzz and currently really love my Hjart Muller Lo|Fat, not a common pedal but it rox for me.