1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feedback wanted: Yet Another Bassist Playing Bach's Prelude

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Reg Braithwaite, May 7, 2019.

1. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    Toronto,
    A complete run-through in one take. It's fairly representative of how well (or poorly) I play this piece. Sometimes I make fewer mistakes, sometimes more. If I do a couple of takes, the best one will be better than this, but that's just probabilities at work.

So I posted the first complete take after a small modification (I removed the built-in piezo pickup and preamp, and raised the action to eliminate some horrid buzzing playing the low C# and C notes.)

Besides my playing, I'm unsatisfied with the microphone built into my iPad, the harmonics sound much worse on "tape" than they do to my ears when playing. But maybe better technique would help as much as a better mic?

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. Good job man! Keep it up! As far as feedback goes, I'd probably work on playing more legato and connecting the notes a bit.

bfields and Reg Braithwaite like this.
  3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Nice playing, but you are using a semi acoustic bass guitar, so see the "guitar" part of that instrument name... and not the bass part of it.

So the bass needs copper wound strings to get the most from the design of the Pizo PUP...so that means scratcy/toppy overtones of the strings...the copper in the strings is needed to get the best from the Pizo Pup in that design in the belief cooper wound strings are warmer in the over all mix of amp and guitar.

But your skills are transferable, so learn on a guitar then transfer them to a bass...then judge your playing...but at this point all looks cool to me.

4. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    Toronto,
    Can you be a bit more specific about what you are suggesting... Change of strings?

I ripped the pickup and electronics out and will never use an amp with this instrument. Should I look for long-scale nylon strings (presuming they exist)?

Fergie Fulton likes this.
  5. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Hi Reg, what I am saying is the strings in the basses are usually copper based to aid the pickup, so if you are not using the Pizo then maybe look to using different strings that are not so "Scratchy" and see if that helps your issues with buzzing.

Reg Braithwaite likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021