1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fellow TBers, may I have your expertise please?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Razzmatazz, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    Hello!

This is my new Ric 4003. First it looked like dust but when I wiped the area shown in the picture, the paint started to peel as a result. I spoke with the dealer about this. To me, it seems like a fabrication/assembly defect but the dealer said it occurred during shipping, it was supposedly 100% mint when it left the warehouse (I bought it online). It's too late to ask for a compensation from the shipper but the dealer asked if I would accept a compensation. To get the advantage of the warranty from Rickenbacker, it would cost a lot to the dealer (bought it in the US, I live in Canada).

So, is it a defect that might have occured during shipping to you? How much should I ask for a compensation?

Thank you

2. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    Looks like a manufacturer defect to me. Finish didn't stick right or something. Maybe when the bridge was bolted on, they cranked it down a little too much and broke through, or something, but either way, it looks like a manufacturer defect to me.

3. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'd ask for 50% of the purchase price.... that is about all you can sell the bass for at best as it is. Or else, they can ship you a new one.

I'd love to see someone demonstrate how that damage was caused by a shipper.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    +1

5. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    Asking for half the price would make the dealer "jump" quite a lot I think... I don't have any experience dealing with this kind of situation. More suggestions?

6. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Definitely doesn't look like a shipping issue.

7. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    1) No.

2) It's cosmetic, not structural. Take that into consideration when you're asking for remuneration.

8. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    i.e., the cost of refinishing?

9. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, that definitely has nothing to do with shipping. One of the coats of the finish didn't adhere properly, probably due to some finger grease or other contaminant on the surface. It's a quality control problem at the factory. The reason it buckled up right there is because of the pressure of the edge of the bridge pushing on it. But the problem is that the paint wasn't bonding down.

Not the end of the world. It needs a partial repaint. The area around the bridge could be repainted, but most shops would just repaint the whole top surface of the body to keep the color even. It's a $200 to $400 repair job by a luthier that does regular painting.

As far as I know, modern day Rickenbackers are painted with a water-based acrylic polyurethane, I think one of the Target series. I've done some repairs and touch-up repainting on Rickenbackers, and one of the tricky parts is trying to match the JetGlo (black). They use some kind of nasty pigment to get that deep rich color, and I remember having to really build up coats to get the repairs to match. But it can be done.

Get a quote from a local shop that does repainting, or offer to send it back to Rickenbacker.

10. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Or laughter.

11. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Just take it to someone and get a written quote to fix it. That will be how much you ask for, and you will be able to back it up.

12. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    It's no secret that modern production Ricks have had some serious QC issues. However, it appears to be only cosmetic. Are you happy with the bass otherwise? Get some quotes from local repair guys and ask the dealer to reimburse you. Then again, you'd also be within your rights to demand a refund or replacement.

13. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    Thank you all for your replies. Besides this defect, I'm quite happy with it. It plays and sounds great, the intonation is perfect etc. It seems to me that the dealer might be affraid since he insist on the shipper fault. So far I asked only one luthier. He didn't wanted to do it and strongly advised me to take it back. He also said that the whole top would have to be painted to make it disappear. I'll try to find someone who will be willing to do this repair, and avoid all the troubles taking it back.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Your dealer is full of ****. That is a manufacturing issue.....one that is common and documented on a number of basses bought by TBers. I personally owned a bass with the exact same issue. Send it back to Ric and they will fix it under warranty.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The luthier is right - if you want it done right, the entire top will need to be repainted.

This is not a shipping issue, it's a problem with the factory paint.

16. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i would return it. it is the principle of the thing. no way shipping caused that.

17. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I'd have it replaced.

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Same here - I wouldn't be happy with a re-fin on a new bass, especially one that costs a fair amount...

Also definitely not a shipping issue...

- georgestrings

19. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's an update: I went to a local luthier. It only took some compound and some buffing and half an hour of my time and it only cost me $35. It's barely noticeable and I'm ok with that. Lesson learned! I'll never buy an instrument like that online ever. It's better from a local store. Might cost more but if something is wrong, the store takes care of it.

20. picture? I can't see how buffing would take are of that peeling paint