1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Female Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bill Clifton, Oct 16, 2020.

1. By any means am I trying to be sexist here. After a lot of years I just got back into playing and in my time not many females played bass. Now I see it's not predominantly a male instrument(not that it ever was). You can see I'm fumbling over my words because I don't want this to be misinterpreted. Mohini Dey just blew me away and I'm interested in what other artist you people recommend. Asking for a granddaughter.

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Tal Wilkenfeld.

3. Craig T Vector

Craig T Vector Gold Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Male. Female. Lots of fantastic bassists throughout the years. Listen to the bass, gender doesn't matter.

4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Start with Carol Kaye

Peter Torning, mambo4, HD007 and 80 others like this.
  5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    here's 10 worth checking out.

6. If your granddaughter is interested in bass, that's awesome. She should listen to the masters, regardless of sex. But for female role models, you can't go wrong with some of the early ones. Carol Kaye, Suzy Quatro, Tina Weymouth, and then later on you have people like Tal (mentioned above), Esperanza Spalding, Kim Deal, Kim Gordon, Meshell Ndegeocello, Gail Ann Dorsey... it's a long list, really.

Yes, when I started in the late 70's there were very few of us; the bass was stereotyped as the province of the quiet guy with big hands standing in the shadows next to the drums. But a lot has changed.

TH63, JPDsma, 1bassleft and 56 others like this.
  7. Brent's Groove

Brent's Groove

Mar 14, 2007
    Virginia
    Esperanza Spalding. She's a genius through and through.

8. Wild_Bill_57

Wild_Bill_57 Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Cincinnati, OH
  9. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Jean Millington from Fanny is an overlooked hard rock bass pioneer.

JTE, Leo Smith, jwave and 19 others like this.
  10. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Julie Slick is amazing.

11. Novecento's Rossana Nicolosi. Fabulous tone and tasteful playing. The jazz material with Billy Cobham is great.

RSBBass likes this.
  12. This thread does not belong in the Basses forum. It belongs in Bassists. OP, kindly remember such things, moving forward. Mods, you know what to do.

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Oh, I dunno, Suzi Friggin' Quatro!

14. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Jenny Lee Lindberg is fantastic, Warpaint.

Erable, Lytepipe, southpaw723 and 4 others like this.
  15. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Laura Lee is a very good bassist and Khruanbin is changing music for the better. Just a pile of talent.

16. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    Ida Nielsen played with Prince. She has lots of good videos on youtube, especially on the Bass The World channel. Just discovered her recently and love her.

Also, if she likes harder rock, Maynard James Keenan from Tool has other bands, one of them is A Perfect Circle. Bass player is a lady named Paz. I think she also did some work with the Pixies.

17. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

I hear she never changes her strings so what you’re hearing is 10+ year old strings!!!

Miles_ONeal and punchdrunk like this.
  18. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, we are not alike in that regard. But her tone is very recognizable. And their drummer is basically a Rolex.

Vinny_G, Eli_Kyiv and sonojono like this.
  19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That's pretty awesome.

I feel blessed by my introduction to Tal. I was at NAMM in 2004, wandering around checking everything out. Anyone who has been to NAMM knows what a wank and shred fest it can be. There are people showing what they've got at every booth.

I don't remember what I was looking at, but I heard someone on a bass that stood out from the 1000s of others wanking around. It put an instant smile on my face, and I pictured some older dude (like Paul Simon's bassist, Bakithi Kumalo) to be playing. I HAD TO check this dude out. I walked around the corner to where the sound was coming from and was dumbfounded. It was a little girl. She was still unkown at the time, but was drawing a crowd.

What was awesome about it is I wasn't drawn in by the fact that she was a kid, nor a girl. I was drawn in because what she was playing moved me. She's got chops, but she can really make the bass sing on top of it. There are tons of people at NAMM that can play 800 notes a second, but they're boring. She makes music.

I'm a fan, though a neglectful one. I have to start buying her music.

jonro, HD007, Miles_ONeal and 23 others like this.