Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 400 Pro combo + cab???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sako, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a 400 Pro combo and will be looking to add a cab in the
    future. Can the 400 Pro also push the Fender 210 Pro cab?
    Fender's website is very vague -- it has a little information about
    adding the 115 Pro cab to the 400 Pro combo, but, I'm definitely
    more into 10's than 15's.

The 400 Pro is supposed to push 350w and go to 500w @ 2
    ohms when you attach a 115 cab. So what would happen if I
    added the 2 10's (the 210 Pro is 350 w)? Would I still get 500w?
    Would my total rig be underpowered? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated!

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I believe the 210 is 8 ohms so you wont get 500 Watts. But you will get more than 350 W. However the internal speakers (4ohms) will get more power than the extension cab (8 ohms) in that case. That´s why Fender has a special ext cab for that combo.

3. Vicar Philip

Vicar Philip

Sep 15, 2004
    Illinois
    Hi Sako,

I bought the 400 Pro and 115 EXT cabinet several months ago and couldn't be happier. It's been through at least eight LOUD gigs, no problems at all. I would definitely recommend the Fender 15" cab, it really rounds out the bottom. The nice thing about this set is you can use the combo by itself for smaller gigs, then load up the 15 when you need the 500 watts. They also look really cool stacked up!! ;)

4. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the info.

Vicar- Does the 115 enhance the bottom end or change the tone drastically? I also use a Tech 21 SABDDI and love my tone. Also, for larger gigs do you mic the amp, or use a DI?

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    We have one at work, but I did not think that it was a 4 ohm cab. If it is and you add another 4 ohm cab then you will get the power it offers but I would be really careful about pushing it at 2 ohms. My Eden Metro can go to 2 ohms too but I won't do it.

6. Vicar Philip

Vicar Philip

Sep 15, 2004
    Illinois
    I notice that it adds a lot more "thump" to the sound, but not disproportionate to the tone of the 400 by itself. Regardless, the top-notch EQ section of the 400 allows one to dial in nearly any sound you like.
    Well, at this stage in my band's career, we've really only played medium-sized bars. We're all old guys doing it for fun, but my personal inclination would be to mic the amp so I had more control of my tone.

armybass, I know what you're saying, but this amp has performed admirably for me at 2 ohms. The fan blows the heat out of the front vents of the 400, which is kind of nice because it gives me an idea of how hard I'm really pushing it. And, again, eight gigs under its belt and still sounds great. Louder than hell too. (Earplugs are NOT optional!)

7. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    I also have a 400 PRO to which I have added the 115 PRO EXT. It doesn't change the tone, but it definitely gives a fuller and fatter sound. I like low bottom, and it is a real improvement compared to the combo w/o the cab.

I haven't tried with another extention, so I can't compare.

I used to gig with just the combo, but it is better since I have the extention. I have never miked it, I play in medium sized bars, never played in big venue.