1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 7150 or DR Sunbeam?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by supremo, Apr 3, 2009.

1. supremo

supremo

Oct 20, 2008
    Can somebody tell me the advantages and disadvantages between them? I'm playing classic rock and I have tried Sunbeams but no the 7150's. I'm very satisfied with Sunbeams but I'm very curious to check the 7150's on my Fender P-bass

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    In my experience both Fender and DR make fantastic strings. I don't think anybody's text description can be a useful help for you. My personal preference is for Fender strings in general, but that doesn't really mean anything. :)

3. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    I used to use Fender 7150ML strings. They played well for me and sound decent on a my jazz basses and my Hwy 1 P. I switched to Sunbeams and Hi-Beams since then. All I can say is the Sunbeams to my ear sounded richer and more full , better highs ,more sustain, , seem to take alot longer to break in . On my P-bass I put the 7150s back on simply because I get a better open string sound off A and E with them(deeper more flat) if that makes sense. The Fenders are a little cheaper price. And IMO sounded better on My P-Bass but not on my jazz basses

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Dont know about sunbeams but 7150s are pure nickel and tend to go dead kinda quick which for classic rock is good. They still have some zip but have the warm sound of the 60's and 70's in them. They are my go to nickel round for this reason.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    In my experience, both sound good. The Fenders have lower output in volume and higher tension. I agree the with above the DRs have richer high-mids and highs. DR nickel Lo-Riders give the best of both, IMO, that is if you like a higher tension.

6. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I use both actually

Sunbeams on my stock Alder body 73 Jazz, as mentioned great growl in the upper mids ... that bass bass has a nice woody sound and the strings seem to bring that out.

I use the 7150s on my Geddy body with 62 RI neck bass it was a bit too bright for what I needed and the 7150s gave me back some mid growl on that bass. That bass has Nordstrand NJ4SE pickups which are a little hotter and the 7150s do have a bit less output so it was a wash.

:) ... I like both very much.

7. wyvern84

wyvern84

Dec 2, 2008
    Virginia
    What I'm curious about is how they age. How does the tone sound different after a while playing them?