1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 75 reissue pickups vs. DiMarzio model J's??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Biodome, May 9, 2010.

1. Fender 75 Reissue

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. DiMarzio Model J

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hello,

I'm looking for comparisons of the Fender 75 reissue pickups and DM model J's. I'm looking for an aggressive pickup with a tone that can be identified in the mix - ie not muddy. My favorite bass tones are probably Larry Graham's from the 1st and 3rd Betty Davis albums. Any insight?

Thanks!

John

2. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    The Dimarzio DP123 (Model J) pickups have a darker tone overall, and doesn't have the bite that Fender pickups have.

I've never tried the reissue 75 pickups, but I use the reissue 62 pickups, and they tend to cut through the mix better then the Model Js.

If you are looking for tone along the lines of Larry Graham then you would want the Fender pickups IMHO.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1

vintage-style J pickups are what you want. you can further "agressive-ize" them by putting 500k pots in the bass, which will make them louder and brighter. (you'll want linear taper volumes and an audio tone pot.)

4. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Great advice, thanks!

5. hey there,

I have the '75 RI pickups.

First I had the Fender 62' vintage pickups.
    Then I got Aero type 1's
    Then I had 60's Fender custom shops.

These all had a very balanced sound; not too bad but not too good either, medium output, bass, mid, and treble. Just a standard 'middle of the road' jazz bass tone.
    The CS and Aero's sounded almost Identical, Aero's were slightly more dynamic than the CS, the 62's were the thinnest of the group.

The 75's realy suprised me. They have the same tone as the Aero's and CS but, I don't have to 'dig in' as hard to get a big fat round sound.
    To my ear, they have more output, more bass, more mids and less treble. This makes it more funky sounding compared to the brighter 'glassy' sound of the Custom shop's, especialy through the Sansamp RBI for example.
    The neck p'up has more 'bark' like a P-bass, the bridge p'up has more 'burp' like a Rick.

BTW The Dimarzio factory is not far from where I live, however I never tryed em.

6. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    I 1st put the Model J's in a parts Jazz that I put together, I liked them so much I put them in my Geddy sig bass too. I thought they were much more agressive. My GL went from occasionally played to my main bass. I'm in a 3 pc cover rock band and this thing owns its spot in the mix with authority now! they are a little darker sounding than stock GL J pickups, but much more agressive and much higher output.

7. in my MIA Jazz, I had the DP123 and I really liked them for a little while, until I got tired of its thick mids and darkish tone (could have been the stock 250K pots and I did not try 500Ks) it has since gone back to the stock MIA pickups which are pretty good to my ears. BTW Aero Type 1 are my favorite non-Fender single coils!

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The model J is one of the most over-rated pickups I've ever tried. Boomy with the low mid's bump that I find typical in high output J pickups. Sure in a 3 piece that will work but you get in a more layered mix and you're going to be wanting real low's and non-muffled hi's ...

For me it's Vintage Vibe JBX-4's, then Lollars, then Aero type 1's, Fralin, Duncan SJB-1, then Lawrence, then Fender ... the SJB-1's are the sleeper in the bunch as you can often find them used for realtive peanuts and they are really very good. Vintage Vibe's stuff is out front for me as it's quiet but still retains the dingle coil edge a J should posess. That and that they are build to order so you can spec magnet and winding options.

9. I have a set of original 75-78 (can't exactly remember) DM replacment jazz pickups that I thought I liked in my '72 Jazz. I took em out in '96 and went with the vintage re-issue from Fender because of course I'd lost the orginals. Maybe I should put them on eBay. I agree that they sounded a bit dark but fat in the mids.... they're white or cream in color.

10. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's funny to hear a couple of folks saying that the Model J's are overrated. In my searches to see which pickups might shift my tone in the gritty direction I'm looking for, those are the ones that keep coming up. It sounds like they are super thick and loud, but that's not necessarily what I'm looking for. I have no problem turning up the bass or volume on my amp; I'm looking for something with a pronounced middle that's got bite. The 75's are the other pair that come up for that - I think that's what I'll go for.

11. like I said, I never tryed the Dimarzio's, but the 75's are more than just a standard jazz pickup. I don't know what you have in your bass now or how they compare, I just know they are bigger and better than the custom shops ect... and are probably the best Fender makes.

Good luck fellow New Yorker.;)

12. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/TamamShodProg/
    How would the the Fender Vintange 75' pickups fit pick, rock playing?
    Mainly punk/stoner rock, maybe with a Rush kind of touch?

13. lweastdad

lweastdad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2011
    I have a vintage '75 jazz bass and a MIM jazz with DiMarzio Model J's.

The '75 gets played - the Dimarzios sit.

14. The Fenders or Lollars would be good for what you're after.

I'm personally loving the Model J's in mine right now. They really deliver that medicine ball kick in the guts for funk.

15. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Yhym so I'm thinking now either about the 75' Fender pickups or the SD STKJ-2 (Hot stack), anyone could compare those pups?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like both vintage style and Model J...actually Model PJ's in the bass I have with them, but I also used to have a bass with Model J's. The descriptions of each in this thread are pretty accurate from my vantage point. If I could only have one, I'd go for the vintage style but each has advantages. I never cared for the 70's pickups, though, so I'd get the 62, but that's a matter of taste.

17. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    And what's the difference in the sound between the 62' and 75' pickups?

Are the SD STK-1 vintage sounding pickups or?

Because I'm puting the model P in my P bass which is a bit modern sounding and I would want ma jazz bass to be also agressive, but more warm, vintage sounding.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Mind you, I'm going by actual 70's pickups and not these particular 75 reissue pickups, but the 62's have a wider frequency response and a warmer bottom end to my ears.