1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 9050l Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by finfrocka, Jan 22, 2012.

1. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    Just thought I would throw this up there to answer some questions that I had previously about these strings.

Yes, in my opinion they are similar to chromes.

The light version of these strings (the ones I bought) have a higher tension than my marcus miller DR's 45-105.

Unfortunately the e string is too long and will wind on the post which is bad for flatwounds.

Now, I really like these strings a lot. An interesting thing that I noticed was that upon stringing up, the E and A strings felt like they have already been somewhat broken in. The D was right where I would expect a new flat to be. The G is pretty bright. So I wonder how this will come into play, say, a month from now.

I put this up because while searching for these strings I didn't see a whole lot of results. I know this isn't super in depth, but I welcome any questions so that the people smart enough to use the search function can hopefully get some answers.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You should be alright with those strings wrapping around the post. They should be flexible enough to warp around the post especially if it is the larger diameter posts like on a Fender Jazz / P-Bass...

3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The D and G will mellow a bit over time.

Depending on the brand, those two strings might never be as thumpy as the E and A. Nature of the beast in some sets.

4. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    A year ago I tried two sets of the 9050L. I thought it was the holy grail. Unfortunately there was a problem with the D-string, after a week or so. It kind of hardened. It became unplayable, felt and sounded 'funny'. I put on the second set I had and after a while the same happened to the D-string. Eventually it broke. This is something I never experienced with the Chromes, which I´ve used ever after.