Fender Am. Prof. II Precision vs Player Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phaidrus, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    In the final analysis, it's probably a subjective personal judgement whether it is worth making the extra investment for a new Fender American Professional II Precision bass (€1800 / $1870) instead of a new Fender Player Precision bass (€870 / $905)*.

That said, what do my fellow TBers think - is it worth it to stretch the bank and go for the expensive one?

* Prices where I live.

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I just bought a Pro II Precision. I think the choice is completely subjective, but I could afford both and I appreciated the various "upgrades" vs the Player (bridge, sculpted heel) and preferred the Pro II neck. But I think it would be hard to objectively argue that the Pro II is better.

3. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    How's the V-Mod II pickup? I have an Am. Prof I Pbass, which I really like (fast neck!), but didn't like the V-Mod pup and replaced it with an "Original" for a more in-your-face tone with the appropriate set of rounds.

SJan3 and LetItGrowTone like this.
  4. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Island Park, Idaho
    They’re both good basses.

It really all boils down to whether are not you want an American Fender and are willing to pay the difference to have one.

5. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    With the Player, is the truss rod adjustment done on the headstock side with the same Allen key as with the American made model?

6. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I’ve played the Pro I and II and in my opinion the V-Mod II is a better pickup. To me it sounds more balanced and, while a modern precision pickup, is not really hifi but still well within precision pickup territory. I really liked how it sat in the mix on the hard rock material we play. The Pro II is the bass the band likes the most.

7. sleepingEB0

sleepingEB0

Jun 10, 2020
    Right now, given fenders quality output I think it’s going to depend on each example of the bass you get. Quality is all over the place from both Mexico and US.
    May opt for G&L or Suhr or another smaller builder tbh

TrevorG, jd56hawk, Liam Wald and 4 others like this.
  8. Moving Pictures

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I would agree with this and while I also prefer the Pro II the Player is a solid bass with a decent neck and good sounding pickup. I prefer a reinforced neck due to living in a winter climate. I really enjoy the feel of the neck on the Pro II.

I would never say no to the Player series. They are quite giggable and like the quote above it is all subjective anyway.

yup!

9. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    No.

You can still buy the player, upgrade the electronics, and get the neck dressed and leveled for less than the stock pro with the factory pickup.

Artman likes this.
  10. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    Is the Am. Pro neck reinforced while the Player neck isn't? I'm planning to string the bass with some heavy tension strings, like the Fender 9050M (230lbs). Will this be OK with the Player?

11. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Yes.

Well, I assume that the P follows the J.

I have a AmPro II and an AmElite Jazz. Both are head and shoulders above any mexican jazz I have owned or played.

Its not even close.

Every Mex Jazz I have owned had issues at some point. The last one l, the tone pot stopped working, and I could turn down both V to zero, yet still hear it.

Replaced all pots and jack. Since i was in there, i added Quater Pound pickups.

Sounded much better then. But if you need to replace pots and pickups to equal spound of the AmPro......just get the Pro.

12BitSlab, Pet Sounds, REV and 2 others like this.
  12. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2004
    If you want something with the specs of the Pro II, you still won't have it after doing that. That's why it's subjective. If you don't value any of that stuff, then the mod approach could work. I also wanted something that I could buy and start playing without feeling there was a single thing I would "need" to upgrade and the Pro II fit that criteria for me.

13. Moving Pictures

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    The reinforcement just helps the neck stay stable. The Player doesn’t have the graphite reinforcement rods. A Player series should be able to handle the tension with a proper setup.

JeezyMcNuggles and Phaidrus like this.
  14. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I found the Am Pro neck was finished a little nicer, smoother, nicely rolled. BUT the Player has a nicely finished neck in its own right and I’m one who doesn’t mind doing a little rolling/rounding on a neck myself. I thought both basses sounded great, and balanced on a strap about the same too. Very similar slim c profiles (idk if they’re marketed as “slim” but both felt similarly slim to me.)

In the end I concluded I was happy with my own basses, but I woulda got the player if I was in need.

Phaidrus likes this.
  15. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    Given my limited experience, I'd call the neck of the Am. Pro "slim" for a Pbass. I own an Am. Pro I (2017) and an Am. Std (2008) and the neck of the Pro feels considerably thinner and faster, to which feeling contribute the narrow-tall vs the medium-jumbo frets. I like them both.

CallMeAl likes this.
  16. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I went through a bunch of both at Sam Ash NYC the other day. I really liked the players. They were typically lighter weight and I liked the way they played

Artman, Moving Pictures and Phaidrus like this.
  17. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    Did you notice sloppy fretwork or similar QC issues? Any marked differences between the two types of pickups?

18. aero58

aero58 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2021
    USA
    I have a pair of AmPro II precisions (both sunburst, one w/rosewood fb, one w/maple fb), and had a Player series precision (w/maple fb). I prefer the feel of the neck on the AmPro II, and I definitely prefer the tone of the AmPro II.

Pet Sounds, BillMason and Phaidrus like this.
  19. Peter - Oregon

Peter - Oregon

Nov 21, 2021
    None
    I own a Player Jazz and the American Professional II Precision. There is clearly a difference between the two. To me the Professional is a a much nicer instrument to play. I got that last May from GC for 30 percent off, making it a lot more affordable. Like everyone always says, you really have to play the instruments to evaluate what is for you.

Phaidrus likes this.
  20. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I've never held a Player, so I can't make an objective comparison. There's lots to like about the Pro II, however I was not so sure about the neck profile, which is slightly chunkier than my Am Standards (my all time favorite), but the satin finish on the back is very nice. I dig the sculpted heel too, though I'd be perfectly happy without it. I was skeptical about the V-Mod II initially, but can't really say anything bad about it other than it's aesthetics are off.

Phaidrus likes this.