1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American deluxe jazz vs...... Everything else

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mrevol, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Mrevol

Mrevol

Mar 12, 2013
    So I'm looking to get a new bass for my studio and have been eyeing a fender American deluxe jazz. I already own a fender p and MM stingray.

I see the fenders are about $1200-$1400 used and was just wondering if there's anything that's cheaper and better? Reading about G&L L2000 has started perking my interest. Any opinions on the G&L or others. Even opinions on the fender jazz (specifically the American deluxe)?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mrevol

Mrevol

Mar 12, 2013
    Oh and I forgot.... Why are the prices all over the place on L2000's ($400-$1200)? Are there different versions? Ones that are better then others?

3. AnalogKid4003

AnalogKid4003

Jul 8, 2012
    The fit and finish on my deluxe is very good. I don't like the N3 pickups but I really prefer a passive sound. But the neck with the block inlays and binding is pretty sweet.
    Depends on what you want you could save some money and get a American model to save some money.

The cheaper G&L's are Indonesia made tribute models.
    The USA made are more expensive.

I've been gassing for one lately

Mrevol likes this.
  4. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I have an American Fender Jazz Deluxe 5. Its a great bass. Build quality is superb but it wasn't cheap. I think you can get equally good sounding basses in the Fender line up for less money. I'd suggest visitng your local guitar stores and trying a few MIA, MIM, and MIC Fenders along with some Squier basses. Take home the one that sound best to you.

As for the G&L basses - equally good but check them out with the head/cab combo you'll be using. The pickups are very hot and might not mix well with your specific rig. The cheaper ones (called tributes) are from Asia and are still very good basses.

Something I don't own and have never tried but am really GASing over is the Gibson EB Bass. Looks like a Fender/Gibson/G&L hybrid. I've heard they sound great but again, I've never tried one so who knows.

Happy bass hunting!

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I purchased a Fender deluxe brand new and returned it the next day. The build quality is awesome BUT the electronics are horrible. It's so noisie it's unuseable. I also me tried a P bass deluxe. It was just as noisie. I'm in a working band that plays every weekend and my main bass is a 2008 Fender American P bass that I love. I also have a 2010 Mia Fender P bass as well. I just ordered a G&L MJ-4. It's an active jazz type bass.

6. I know that this is not active..but may I suggest a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. Classic sound and lots of growl....Cheaper than a Am Deluxe too

Aqualung60 likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You can definitely buy whatever Fender Jazz bass that really catches your eye and then put in an Audere JZ3 preamp...one of the best preamps available and so easy to install that I did it myself having never even attempted to do anything other than simply change strings. No soldering required!
    I combined the JZ3 with Fender Super 55s (split coil pickups in a Jazz housing...dead quiet) and my Jazz bass now sounds better than the Candy Tangerine American Deluxe Jazz that I had on layaway.
    6gixwm.
    The JZ3 has a 3-way toggle switch, too...middle position is passive.

Richbass101 likes this.
  8. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Well, Carvin is equal in quality to Fender, has no neck dive, sounds great and costs less. I prefer my G&L p bass over my fender p bass so g&l is to be considered. I have no experience with other makes or models.

9. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    It seems you're leanin' on the Precision side, so why don't you try a MIM Reggie Hamilton Jazz std?

It bears and american std splitcoil in the real sweetspot, it couples it with a bridge noiseless pickup, has a three band active/passive (switch) eq, an alder Jazz bass offset waist body with rosewood fretboard Jazz bass quartersawn maple neck (check nut specs out) and a Hipshot bt2 bass extender on the e string.

So it gives you a well balanced Jazz bass experience with a distinctive (passive) p-style punch if required
    Why don't you give it a try? It's around $. 1,000.00 new and half of it if secondhand.

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. Mrevol

Mrevol

Mar 12, 2013
    Let me ask this --- for you that record, what's your favorite to record?

The bass will be only for studio use and I already have a P and Stingray so I thought a jazz would be a good alternative but then I start hearing about the G&L being super versatile.

What about others like lakland, atk, Warwick, etc.....

Btw is the tribute a big step done compared to the usa g&l's or should I save money and get a tribute?

Abull78 likes this.
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Fit, finish, raw material overall quality and workmanship are really different on the US G&L

Sound it's not, especially considerin' you can count on passive sound on both (usually the must in the studio is the quality of the instrument "passive voice")

Talkin' about "passive voice", in this case I suggest a US std Jazz bass: present CS singles, even if with their trademark hum, are authoritative and well balanced, so you can really do no wrong with one of'em

I tried to suggest an all season bass, but if there's studio recordin' to come, and with a P and StingRay under your belt, the J it's the missin' link

Lakland can possibly be a good alternative, in the sense of a Skyline 4460 with that unmistakeable Jazz sound and feel

Ibanez atk are poorman's StingRays, so somethin' you already have for good, Warwicks are completely different beasts, but not as good if in the studio, IMHO

Cheers,
    Wallace

Abull78 likes this.
  12. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Not sure what type of music you'll be recording but if you want the sound engineer to love you, just bring a passive P bass with flats or broken in rounds to the studio.
    G&L is the last thing I'd show up with unless you want your sound engineer to crazy glue it in passive mode (which BTW is a fantastic sound for that bass). :D

13. Mrevol

Mrevol

Mar 12, 2013
    The music will mostly be rock/indie to metal.

GBassNorth likes this.
  14. mantaraya

mantaraya

Apr 10, 2007
    Having what you have i will say you just need a natural Jazz and you have covered a a good palette of options. But, having had the American Deluxe i have to say maybe not your best option. Having had a EBMM Ray and Sterling i can tell you in terms of "Active" sound these 2 are way better option and since you have a Ray i don't see the point for an active Fender. As some said the AmDlx has nice fit, build etc. And the neck is one of the nicest i've had but the electronics didn't seem special for me. Call it PUPS, Preamp whatever but no magic on it. And neither in Passive sounded as a "keeper" one. It sounded hollow and lifeless. Could be that one i had tough. I suggest you to get a nice passive Jazz instead. But if you have that Ray, i dont see any necessary for an active option. Now, other story is if you are going to talk about Sadowsky, Sandberg and boutique brands, but you seem to be in the $1000 range.

GBassNorth likes this.
  15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    In that case you have two outstanding options...
    If you want to go passive - go with a Gibson Thunderbird
    If you want to go active - go with a Spector Euro LX with a P/J layout

16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Whoa, is this a current color?

17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not that I know of.
    The bass was a 2011, I think.
    The paint was top notch.
    epehrl.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    GregC likes this.
  18. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If you are equipping your studio - that is, for the use of others or for general recording use, I'd get a standard passive J instead of the Deluxe. Not there's anything wrong with the Deluxe, but a standard J will do the trick just fine.

Oldschool94, Aqualung60 and MattyH like this.
  19. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    The EB bass does sound good and it's light but I wish the neck wasn't glued on. I prefer bolt on

20. Honkycat

Honkycat

Sep 18, 2012
    I have an American Deluxe jazz that I put together from parts (2014 neck,2013 body)...and installed passive Nordstrand pickups in it..The bass plays,sounds and looks amazing..Having said that,I don't think I would buy that bass new with the active pickups..I would recommend you get a nice passive jazz (since you've got a Stingray and a P bass) and that should cover all of your basses (haha..)..