Fender American Professional Jazz neck on a Precision body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by minionwrangler, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Greetings and salutations!

Please forgive this TalkBass n00b's n00b question which I'm sure must have been asked many times. My ability to search must be defective at the moment, because I haven't found the answer yet. Anyway...

Can I switch out the neck on one of my American Professional Precisions with an American Profession Jazz Bass seamlessly? I.e. will it fit in the neck pocket with no additional changes?

I absolutely love my Am Pro Precisions, especially the necks (enough to buy a second one solely to keep one detuned to Eb Ab C# F# so I don't have to retune on the fly), but I recently added an Am Pro Jazz to the arsenal and the neck feels even better than the Precisions so I'm toying with the idea of joining the hordes of players of Precisions with Jazz Bass necks.

Thanks!

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Since you already have the Precision body and Jazz neck, why not do the swap and see? Or maybe measure to compare them?

3. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Your answer is yes...It will fit and all will be fine

4. Well, that's a reasonable question. The honest answer is that I recently had the Jazz Bass set up properly, so I don't want to take it apart. My thought was to buy an additional Jazz neck if this was as easy a mod as I hoped it would be.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Welcome to TB! I seriously want to do this to my MIM Precision, taking the P neck off and adding a J...

... unless someone didn't know how to properly operate a screwdriver, I'm thinking you'll be ok swapping the two.

6. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Do it.:woot:

7. Thanks guys!

8. I got around to doing this tonight. Fit perfectly, as predicted. I'm always nervous about doing something like this for the first time, but I should know better by now. Now I just need to figure out whether it's worth springing for an extra neck. Thanks guys!

9. I decided it was worth springing for an extra neck. I also decided to move on one of my Am Pro Precisions (Olympic white, maple fingerboard), so I bought a body too. Am Pro Jazz neck with rosewood fingerboard and a black Am Pro Precision body. Got them today, immediately 86'd the hideous mint green pickguard for a custom one and put it together. I'm very pleased with the result.

Wisebass and DeliriumTremens like this.
  10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi minionwrangler :)

Welcome to TB!

:D!!! Yes but….

yoda-the-dark-side-looks-back.jpg

hi Spidey :)

Unbelievable!!!! What' s next? Stickers? :laugh:

good.jpg

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    No pics, no P-bass with a J neck.

I don't make the rules...

12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    The alchemy stickers from 'Clockwork Angels' would be perfect.

Wisebass likes this.
  13. Fair enough. Here you go. Pickguard is from Greasy Groove.

IMG_4887.JPG IMG_8095.JPG IMG_0739.JPG

14. And while I'm at it, here are my three American Professionals (excluding the Olympic White maple one I'm selling).

Candy Apple red Jazz Bass
    Black Precision Bass/Jazz neck
    Olympic white Precision Bass
    Pickguards form Greasy Groove

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  15. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    You, sir, have excellent taste.

16. Thanks! :)

17. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    Milford, PA
    20190409_135843.jpg

recent parts build with a jazz neck on affinity p body....love it..big tone as well

Spidey2112 likes this.
  18. Very nice!

19. Nice lineup.

Those pickguards are very cool as well.

20. Yeah, I really like them. I have a tendency to change pickguards frequently so I have quite a few. I have previously bought several from WD Music in Florida. Those are very good quality and also the Precision Bass ones shielded. More recently I've bought a bunch from Greasy Groove in Canada. They're also very good and are half the price, but aren't shielded. Fine by me, I don't mind applying some shielding tape.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021