1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FENDER BASS - NECK BUILDER NAME INFO NEEDED

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by REMBO, Jan 28, 2020.

1. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    Does Anyone Know Who The Fender Neck Builder "DAVI" Is? I've Never Seen This Stamp Before.....This Is A 1973 Or 1974 Precision Bass Neck! Thank You For The Help!!
    DAVI.jpg

2. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've got a few early 70's Fenders and the lack of the stamp at the heal (I see the shadow but it doesn't look right to me) as well as this DAVI stamp makes me think that it is not an original Fender neck from this era.
    Hope I'm wrong though.

REMBO likes this.
  3. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    Thanks Jim....I'm pretty sure the neck is legit!! just not sure about the stamp "DAVI"
    I gotta say...it plays like a dream and is a beautifully crafted neck!!
    thanks for the help

Jim C likes this.
  4. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I just spent some time searching Fender neck name stamps and DAVI did not show up.
    Mr Torres did a zillion times though!
    One thing I did learn is that there is a lot of variables and that there will always be more to learn about these instruments.
    Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can shed some light.
    Have any other pics of this bass you'd like to share with us?

REMBO likes this.
  5. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    I wish it said Mr Torres!! i'll post a headstock shot!! the neck is not on a bass that is finished yet!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  6. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    The Headstock!! BB15.jpg

7. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Nice; is that nut 1 5/8" wide?
    Looks closer to 1 1/2" making it the unicorn "A" neck.

The standard "B" neck fits my hand better than any other bass I've ever played.

REMBO likes this.
  8. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    That doesn’t look like the font used on “Torres” or other QC stamps, and also the outline on the “Fender” logo seems weird (maybe too plain/brown).

However , you can see a very faint stamp (the heel bottom left) with what seems to be the correct font but incorrect placement.

Also , between 72-74, they were still putting clear coats in headtsocks that yellowed significantly. Another feature is nickel hardware , and the longer tuner shafts are not present.

The hardware doesn’t seem right ( the pitting seems artificial) .

My initial thought was it might be kosher, but upon closer examination , i have a question for you now :

what makes you feel so certain that this neck is original ? Was it presented to you as original by a “connoisseur”?

REMBO likes this.
  9. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut

You could be right....
    i put the hardware on the neck...i had the tuners from a previous project.
    If you saw and played this neck, you'd see it's legit. ....anything can be passed as a fake i guess...but, it appears to be real.
    thanks for the help

10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    More importantly, none of the names you see stamped there mean that person was a builder at all. Could be a lady that inspected a part of it, the person who did the nut, the fret installer, the finish sprayer, the tuner guy. the truss install. anything! Fender did not ever write or stamp a name that could be considered a neck builder in general. Or any other part of the bass for that matter.

REMBO likes this.
  11. stefanb

stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    elgecko, REMBO and Garret Graves like this.
  12. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    good point! thanks for taking the time to help!!

FranF likes this.
  13. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    WOW!! THIS IS A HUGE HELP!! .....This is what i needed to see!! thank you so much!
    now, at least i know there are other people with the same stamp!! and, there are pics!! Awesome!!

THANK YOU!!

stefanb likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021