Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bass V..the old kind

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnp352, Sep 9, 2005.

1. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK, Malekko, Dredgetone, Pigtronix, Seymour Duncan
    Anyone here play a Fender Bass V..the old kind..30" scale, E-C..

I need information..and maybe a link to a good one at a non pimp price

2. johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK, Malekko, Dredgetone, Pigtronix, Seymour Duncan
    i tried that search..but you know what happens. BAD pimp prices..I can't stand basspimps.

3. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    The Fender Bass V isn't a 30'th scale bass, it has the normal 34 scale length.

At Knooren we had one for repairs coming in and we strung it up with the normale BEADG tuning. It was a sunburst one with blocks in the neck, I measured the scale length and it was a 34 inch long scale bass.
    [​IMG]
    Lovely tone though, very much like P-bass but with the added depth of a B-string.

4. johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    so it's a 34" scale, but with only 15 frets..strung e-c, that yields a high Eb..same range..as a P. When you were fixing it..the pickups look like a split P bass..but also more like single coil Mustang split..they must have only gone with that bass..did you find out?

5. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    You have to pay Fender credit for making different Pickups for each bass they released in those days.

The pickup of the Bass V is similar to the one of the Musting bass, being a split humbucker but with narrower coils than a P-bass' and with one magnet for each string instead of the two that a P-bass pickup has.

But as I said before, it sounds really good, a really woody motown like sound. I guess the Wide body and the through string bridge accounts for that.

6. Jamerson had one. I don't have the Slutsky book on hand, but I seem to recall it's one of the few instruments of Jamerson's still owned by his family.

According to George Gruhn it's a 30" scale [edit: apparently not correct but what it says in Gruhn's Electric Guitars and Basses book]. Released in mid 1965, bound fingerboard in late 1965, block inlays in 1966. It was around until at least 1970.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    This bass was directed mainly at studio players, the idea being it would be easier to sight-read if you didn't need to change fret hand position as often. The extra, high C string allowing you to play across the neck not up it, thus the fewer frets.

8. This is an admittedly rough attempt to display the Mustang and Bass V to scale, assuming the Stang is 30" and the Bass V is 34". Looks correct. It's a fascinating instrument for sure, and I'd love to play one.

Attached Files:

9. Looks crazy!
    Oldie....:smug:

10. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    That's not my experience. The one I owned IMHO had a weakish sound - no punch.

11. johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    thanks for the pic..makes you wonder why more mfg's didn't go with the idea of fewer frets/more strings/fewer positions.

12. johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    so..NOT like a P bass..more like a Mustang? ie single coil sounding?
    were the pu's single coil, do you remember?

also..did you have it tuned e-c, or as above, b-g?

13. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I guess my only explination for that is that the quality differed between one example and another. And that you had the misfortune of owning a bad one.

I guess the only well known player of the Bass V who used the bass at live performances was John Paul Jones.
    [​IMG]

14. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    The Mustang Bass never had singlecoil pickups, it had a humbucking splitcoil, much like the P bass but with one single magnet for each string. The similar styled Musicmaster Bass had a single coil, a six pole guitar pickup.

People keep mixing them up but the Mustang and the Musicmaster are entirely different instruments. Here's examples of both.
    [​IMG]
    A Mustang bass, large pickguard, large bridge with through body stringing, split coil pickup.
    [​IMG]
    A Musicmaster Bass, small pickguard, singlecoil guitar pickup, two saddle top loading bridge.

15. johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    thanks for clearing that up Blazer.

16. theres one in a shop in sydney, its been advertised in drum media for years, $2500-ish (aussie $)...ill have to wait til i go home and find out for sure

17. vellu

vellu

Apr 12, 2007
    Helsinki, Finland
  18. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    well, I managed to play one since a friend of mine owns it!
    its ince and playable, but Im not a fan of the sound, kinda weakish, although the extra depth is cool, Id rather go with a P (and Im not even a P fan)!:D