1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bass value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeran, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Jeran

Jeran

Sep 28, 2008
    I was wondering if anyone might know what this bass might be worth, its a 1983 Japanese Fender Precision...

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    No its not.

3. Jeran

Jeran

Sep 28, 2008
    why not?

4. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Generally speaking, most players, if not all from the US of A (no offense meant) don't value that much the first Fender guitars and basses made in Japan from the early '80s. However, I noticed that Europeans especially from the UK, as I see from various internet sites, value the JV and SQ series Squiers and Fenders. This is due to the fact (according to those who played and collected these Fenders) that the Japanese Fender guitars and basses made in Japan during that time were better built that the those made in the US. IMHO, there might be truth to this because Fender USA was forced to come to Japan in 1982 to stop the Fender copies like Tokai, Greco, Fernandes and other Japanese local brands to infiltrate the world market. These old "lawsuit" guitars and basses were crafted with high quality that there was a "report" that when the executives from Fender USA saw what the Japanese luthiers were then doing, they can"t help but "cry". The Japanese luthiers were doing something the Fender luthiers cannot do. So to protect their market, they came to Japan, had a deal with Fujigen Gakki and established Fender Japan. Moreover, presently, Japanese Fender are not allowed to be exported to the US, why? because its almost as good as the US made but a lot cheaper.:bassist:

If I were you, if the price is right, I'll get that '83 P-Bass. It is definitely a JV series.

This is a very good source of informations. http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/index.htm

5. Jeran

Jeran

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks a lot for the info, I already have the bass. I bought it about 3 years ago for £350 (probably around $700), and haven't regretted it at all. I just wondered that now it was 25 years old if it would have increased in value.
    Thanks!