Fender Bass300 BXR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbitsky, May 25, 2005.

1. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005

How do we feel about the Fender Bass 300 BXR for $100. Worth it? Crappy amp? Decent enough for small->medium live gigs?

I want to see if it's worth a drive to check it out.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is it the combo or head only? I think they were decent amps when they first came out. I bought a BXR200 and for only 200w it was a loud amp! The BXR300 is 300w if an extension speaker is used but alone it's 200w IIRC! For $100, if it's in good to excellent condition, I'd buy it!
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I have the BXR100, and it's a great sounding amp, but it's HEAVY. Very heavy. Stupid heavy.
  4. huskies90

May 17, 2004
    I have a Fender 300 bxr-c combo I used for years when I was in college and then after I graduated. It was my only amp for many years and I played many gigs with it. I have some more $$ now so I have since upgraded but I still use the bxr for practice. When I gigged with it, I always had enough volume to be heard over drums. Today, I have tried hooking the head up to my Eden cabs and believe it or not, it did not sound all that bad. The 15 speaker that came with the combo was very "booming" and would sometimes get muddy.

It is a great "middle of the road" amp. Are there better ones out there? Yes, but for $100 you could do a lot worse.

Are you looking at just the head or the whole combo?
  5. I had one also a few years ago.Mine was always loud enough to be heard in a classic rock band with a couple of guitars,Hammond B3 and a loud drummer.For sure not the best sounding but it sounded pretty good to me till I upgraded to a Trace Elliot rig. $100 for a giggable combo that sounds good is a steal.
  6. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I used to have a Fender BXR400 head & played the hell out of that thing for over a decade. Fender is never going down in history as having the best bass amps, but the BXR series didn't suck too bad.

Ain't a bad deal for a C note...
  7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I have BXR 200 combo. It's a very decent sounding amp, 10 band eq, auto compression switch, and built in chorus with a foot pedal controller. it has ext speaker out, XLR output for the board. This is an inexpensive, feature laden unit that is portable and useful for general purpose, my old kybd player used it at rehearsals and it sounded great. As has been stated, a 300 for $100 is a pretty good deal IMO. i guess it all depends on what kind of shape it's in.
  8. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    Thanks, everybody.

The amp is the head only, which I actually prefer. I appreciate all the input.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You sure it has a speaker out? It is a line level line out to match the XLR balanced line out. Check again! Mine has no speaker out jack!
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    For $100, it is worth it. I played through the combo many times, and always walked away happy.

11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I gigged a lot with the combo in the late nineties and it was a reliable thumper. Definitely worth a C note.
  12. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have the same head, and it's pretty nice. I also pais $100 for it, and thought I was getting a steal, so jump on the deal. If you decide you don't want it later, you know you can ALWAYS get your money back out of it.

Edit: I didn't see this was such an old thread... Did you buy the amp? do you like it?
  13. nonorio@

Mar 26, 2006
    This is question over question :"
    I have a BXR 300C as a head taken out off a combo it sounds good on Crate 1810 Bass speaker cabinet but it's cut up all the time , so I brought it to a technician , he told it will cost me $130 to fix it , the head it self I had it for $20 , is it worth to fix it or I have to look at and buy another different head , I don't know ?
    PS I have another head , I don't really need it but it's nice to have an extra head
  14. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    My bxr 300 combo was abusuvely played for 15 years and is still going strong 6 years after I gave it away.

Great combo by itself, plug in an extension cab and it becomes greater!
  15. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Something super easy you could try yourself is to patch a guitar cord between your effects send and return jacks. If this instantly corrects the problem, you could simply leave a short cord in place, or repair the problem by cleaning the dirty switching contacts in your return jack with Deoxit.
  16. nonorio@

Mar 26, 2006
    Oh Thank you for your advice , I will try to do it