1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FENDER BASSMAN 300 PRO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassermaniac, Aug 18, 2007.

1. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    Hi again my friends.For a couple of months i'm trying to decide about a bass head.I already have an ampeg 810 cabinet and after several posts i made you helped me to think seriously to buy the fender bassman 300 pro.I also consider the Ampeg SVT-2 pro.They're both all tube amps and they both cost pretty much the same.I have to say i saw the svt-4 pro closely which i think has the same panel svt-2 pro has and i wasn't impressed that much by the quality of it.The knobs are cheap to me and that's something i don't expect from a quite expensive ''ampeg'' amp.So what about the Fender?Or the svt-2... Help me to decide

Thanks
    Regards

2. personally i have never had a good experience with a fender, my berhinger sounds better, so i would go with the ampeg

3. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    ohoooh, wait til rodl reads this...

4. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    My 300 pro sounds awesome! Unfortunately it quit working after two weeks. It is very possible that I just got a dud(every mass produced product ever made will have some duds). I haven't gotten it back yet so I can't say whats wrong with it. There are several other 300 pro users on this site and they don't seem to have reliability problems.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The choice is easy. Ampeg SVT2 :smug:

6. man_at_arms84

man_at_arms84

Jun 3, 2007
    I would KILL for both SVT 2 or Fender Bass man 300. (especially if it was under the Sunn 300T guise).

Both sound amazing.
    i'd say be different go against the grain and get the fender.

Everyone seemes to have ampeg, be nice for a change.

Plus the fender looks sweeter, get to see all those glowing tubes. :)

Although convineince of SVT is it fits in a rack.

If you dont like the Fender you can sell up and still get enough money to buy the SVT 2.

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Had both, sold both.

Didn't have the Fender long enough to judge reliability. Huge and heavy, very crisp, clean sound - the most un-tube sounding tube amp I've heard. Many features. Didn't like the overdrive, it sounded buzzy and harsh like a cheap pedal to me. Sounded better blended with clean channel.

Ampeg didn't sound so clear - it sounded like an Ampeg. Great overdrive, very smooth sounding. Not as many features, but still plenty - graphic EQ, etc. Smaller and easier to move, fits in a rack.

Both are very very loud. It was a tough decision to part with the Ampeg, not tough for the Fender. The Ampeg seemed well built to me.

8. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    Thank you all.Need still help though

9. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    Just joking! I've had not a prob. w/ my Fender 300PRO = awesome amp. Drive channel is a 'bit' harsh by itself thats why its got the blend ability- & works best this way anyway-keep yr CLEAN low signal in there too!!! & once I got playin' w/ the EQ & comprehensive front panel-compressor I find it E Z to dial in a real tubey soft sound- but yep it CAN go clean also. I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hollowman- be sure to let me know how yrs turns out.
    I've heard of a few probs with 'em... but I've heard a LOT of good, happy customers w/ 'em too!!! Hard choice-SVTII PRO or 300PRO..... If I had the cash I "PROBLY" -maybe... I dunno.... would've gone the SVTIIPRO-but here in Aus. the Ampeg is about $1.5K more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But now I've had the 300PRO for a year or so, with IT'S versatility...I'd choose it!:D

10. believe me when I say this: your berhinger did not sound better than the Fender 300 PRO...:D

11. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I recently bought a "like new" used 300 Pro for $400. I have never seen a 2 pro for that cheap. I have not spent a lot of time with the fender but I agree with...

"Drive channel is a 'bit' harsh by itself thats why its got the blend ability- & works best this way anyway-keep yr CLEAN low signal in there too!!! & once I got playin' w/ the EQ & comprehensive front panel-compressor I find it E Z to dial in a real tubey soft sound- but yep it CAN go clean also"

....except "a bit harsh" is an understatement IMO. I think the drive channel alone sounds like complete crap. With that said, if you blend the two channels you can get a decent overdrive sound. The 300 has wayyyy more comprehensive of an eq section than the 2 pro... which really is not a feature that I personally like.

OTOH, I prefer the sound of the 2 pro over the 300, but I like the sound of a grindy Ampeg tube head. I dont think you can get the 300 to sound like a 2 pro... but as I said, I havent spent a lot of time with the 300.

My suggestion- as always- try both of them and pick the one you like best.

12. Spinach Quiche

Spinach Quiche

Mar 31, 2007
    A possum pi**ed in mine and it still goes!:eek:

13. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    tube amps sound different depending on volume setting. for example, a punk rocker
    might like it at 80-90% volume. for my taste, i prefer 50-75%. a solid state amp
    sounds approx the same between 25-90% volume IMO. now, if your spkr cab is
    barely cutting the job, you'll likely crank the amp which would be good for some,
    not for others. point is--the cab choice is more important then the head, once
    you have the right cab for the venue, then if a tube head is desired, get one
    that is powerful enough, but not too powerful.

if the gig required me to turn down to 40% every time, i would not bother
    to bring a tube head to the gigs due to my tastes.

as for the 300t/2pro question---there is known issue with the limiter on
    the 2pro, but i've heard it can be eliminated easily. otherwise both should be
    great if run at the volume level that gives your desired tone.