Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 400 head and cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NDbassist, Apr 18, 2005.

1. NDbassist

NDbassist

Apr 17, 2005
    I have a fender bassman 400 head with the matching 4x10's. It sounds pretty nice, but i havent seen much or any chitchat on this forum about Fender Heads/cabs. Just seeing what you all think about them, or what you would suggest. Make some noise

2. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I've got a Fender Bassman 400 combo, and it is the best sounding amp I've ever heard in my life. Seriously.

I also blew the speakers in it this week (See my other thread here in Amps) but I've been assured that the speakers in it were dfective, and it's not the amp's fault.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Please list all amps you've ever heard in your life so we have some metrics.

That said, I've played through a couple Bassman 400s, not expecting much, but was very impressed with the sound. While I don't think it sounds quite as good as a Metro or Super Redhead, it is a very respectable amp in the same league.

4. I have a Fender Bassman 400 2x10 combo too. It sounds nice but the DI is too noisy to use and the head section just doesn't put out enough power. The horn is a little hissy and the sound is too scooped to cut through very well. Its a good combo for using in quiet or jazz groups at least. A speaker in my bassman 400 blew too, and I replaced both of them with Eminence Neo 2510s. It sounds pretty similar to the original, maybe a little more hifi with a better low end. My amp and my friends newer Bassman 400 really like to clip with the gain anywhere past 12 oclock, which is probably why the speaker blew on mine. Now I use my combo as a 2x10 cab running off a Peavey Firebass head. The extra 100 watts and the mids the Peavey head puts out make a HUGE difference when you need to cut through. I'd like to try a Pro 800 or Pro 1200 head to see what they're like. I've heard good things about the Fender Bassman 300 head (Sunn 300T).

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I notice that the current 210 in the Bassman line is 250 watts. Might this be because of blown speakers in the 400s? Are they still making the 400/400 Pro?

6. Yes, it's still in the line.

Mike

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    That's a lot of amps to list. Also, I'm not sure I can ID them all since quite a few were at shops and I didn't bother to note the model number. That said, the Bassman sounds better than (IMO):

Several Ashdown combos
    SWR Redhead
    SWR Workingman 2x10
    Most if not all Peavey amps
    Most if not all Ampeg amps

Although I haven't played through Eden gear yet. Although I'm still not sure it could beat the Bassman tone. Probably got the Fender beat in volume, though. Really quiet for 250 watts.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've practiced a lot through the Bassman 100(?) model. The 115 combo. It sounded great during practice, but I didn't push it too hard.

9. NDbassist

NDbassist

Apr 17, 2005
    have any of you tried the stacks? like the 400 head or the 4x10's or the 1x15's? not just the combos is what I'm sayin

10. I'm pretty sure I used a Bassman 2x10 combo with a 1x15 extension. I was impressed.

11. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I tried out a Fender Pro 300 ( All Tube head ) andthe 410 Cabinet, and I was really impressed with the warmth and at same time the punch of the amp. Will consider it seriously.

12. The new Fender gear sounds amazing, IMO. I've tried the 400 pro combo and thought it sounded amazing. It was extremely tight and punchy, but it wouldn't work for my needs.

I'm thinking about hooking up with a pair of the Pro series 4x10's. I'm also considering the 800 Pro head.

I've tried the 1200 Pro, the Sunn model...that's a killer amp.

I've owned the Sunn 300T, same as 300 Pro, should have never sold that one. So, the 300 is on my wish list too.

Ultimately, I'd be happy owning all 3 heads, but I am leaning towards the 300...I'm hooked on tubes. But I dread carrying that beast again, I've been very spoiled with my 4lb Focus!

Fender has redesigned the Bassman series cabs. They're not very deep, 14.5", should make them easier to haul...not sure about the tone. They also have a new head, Bassman 250. The new Bassman combos look interesting.

It's great to see Fender moving forward. They have some great products.