1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender bassman or Ampeg SVT/ SVT-VR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skullheadrac, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Skullheadrac

Skullheadrac

Jun 13, 2018
    So Cal
    I've been really considering getting a tube amp lately. For the longest time I thought the Ampeg SVT CL or SVT VR were the amps for me.
    Then Fender Bassman amps have caught my attention lately. Does anyone have any suggestions for which model Bassman is the "standard"?
    Maybe i'll eventually get an Ampeg tube as well as a Fender one day. I'm just trying to decide which to get first and really narrow down a model of the Fender Bassman to keep an eye open for.
    Also, I'd prefer 300 watts vs any 100 watt models.

Thanks in advance for the input!

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The hybrid channel on the current super bassman can do a solid SVT impression, plus you've got overdrive and the vintage bassman channel for a different voicing.

I'd probably take an SVT-VR > CL > bassman, but they're both solid choices.

jastacey and Skullheadrac like this.
  3. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    SuperBassman 300.

Very flexible with two channels. I went this direction a few months ago and no regrets at all. Played SVTs in the past, and they sound great, but I was over the moon with the SB300.

4. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    I would suggest trying both the Ampeg and Fender if your able to demo. I currently have an svt2pro (300 watt) all tube rack mount version of the svt along with the v4b-ri 100 watt all tube. I had the fender super bassman for a wile, great amp, great tone but it’s not Ampeg and my Ampeg is not fender. Some say you can Comp each other’s amps tone but I felt when I was a/b the super bassman vs Ampeg v4b-ri there were more different tone/ coloring then alike.... but that’s my opinion. Again both great amps, both do their own thing well. Demo them both if you can.

lz4005 and Skullheadrac like this.
  5. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    You should definitely listen and play through both before you buy and not just take someone else’s word for it. I did that and bought a Super Bassman 300 and didn’t like it after buying and playing through it for a couple of weeks. I know, a lot of folks will say what? You didn’t like a Super Bassman 300? It just wasn’t the sound I was after and I had to pay for shipping to return it which isn’t cheap for something that heavy these days. And that’s fine, I’m glad I purchased from a great store that had no problem with me returning it. I’m just trying to save you the experience of going through all that. If you can go somewhere and try out the amps you’re interested in that is what you should do.

6. Skullheadrac

Skullheadrac

Jun 13, 2018
    So Cal
    love the input thus far.
    Current amps i have are SVT 7PRO and SVT 350.

Super Bassman question, is there a big gap in the age of the amp and quality/tone? I don't mind the Vietnamese Ampegs but i'm unaware about the Super Bassman. Thanks again!

REMBO likes this.
  7. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I was at this crossroad a few years ago. I would love to have both but I chose the SB300 for features and weight.

I love the tones both produce but Fender just has what I want more.

As far as I know the SB300 has been produced in Mexico for the whole life of its existence, since 2012 I believe. Mine came with Russian Groove Tubes, 6550’s in the power section, with a 5 rating. I have read that others came with Chinese 6550’s. Mine is from 2014.

mattwear likes this.
  8. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I have both amps, and I like both, but the Fender can do a really good simulation of the SVT-CL, and is slightly lighter, and it has a blendable overdrive feature, if you want a little grit in your tone, also, with the Super Bassman, you have a feature of running your tubes a little hotter or a little cooler, for more tone variations, as to which one is right for you, you really need to try each amp, with your cabinet
    Why I have one of each? .... never really wanted to get rid of one, over another, I had the SVT-CL first and had it for several years, yes the SVT-CL is a great amp ..... so, with that said ..... I'm a confirmed gear hound
    SVT-CL&NV610. IMG_20180923_150657.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    mattwear, Luigir, pht2356 and 6 others like this.
  9. FronTowardEnemy

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I would also like to add that if you haven’t played both or cannot play both to compare, the SB300 can stay really clean while being cranked hard on the Vintage channel.

I found the Ampeg SVT harder to tame at gig levels, but I love the way the Ampeg sounds breaking up and overdriving. It is a classic rock amp that we all know and love.

Try both and decide for your self. As I’ve said, I own the SB300, but I would buy and gig an SVT anytime as well.

Both great amps.

jastacey likes this.
  10. FronTowardEnemy

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Hell yeah!

This is what I am saying. I have way too many amps and cabs right now, but damn, I’m gassing for an SVT again now.

Skullheadrac likes this.
  11. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Where'd you get the side bass hanger?

BassAssHat and Luigir like this.
  12. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Tough choice. I owned both for a while and found that by using the overdrive channel as an eq channel (commonly done by many) I was able to get the Super Bassman to sound identical to the SVT in a blind AB test with my mates. Also the Fender is 20 pounds lighter which was a big factor for me as I age. I ended up selling the SVT but buying an Ampeg V4B - which I much preferred over the Fender 100T which I also owned (and sold).

jastacey and Goatrope like this.
  13. Had both, love both, kept the Fender Super Bassman. Had it since 2012, all good!

jastacey and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  14. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I purchased it from Musicians Friend, it's made by " String/Swing", it come in several different styles, to fit different sized handles

kranahan and diegom like this.
  15. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    What settings on the SB300 did you use to match the SVT?

16. Here's the link to the manufacturer. You can see all the models available...
    Stage Hangers & Accessories - Amp Hangers - String Swing USA

17. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Thank you!

18. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    A couple years ago I saw a Fender endorser with his Fender 810 cab and a Bassma head on top. I was behind the stage and I could see the SVT that he was actually plugged into tucked behind his Fender cab. If you can manage the weight, SVT all the weigh (sic).

bobyoung53, okcrum and pht2356 like this.
  19. FronTowardEnemy

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    This is the setting and it sounds pretty close.

CFFFA770-DCE9-48E6-84AA-7270A3B202F0.

smeet and jastacey like this.
  20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I went with the SB300 and haven’t looked back. Nothing against the SVT-I’d be happy to gig one of them any day (and have on several occasions). But the Fender gives me more of what I want.