1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bronco

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iwannadie, Jun 3, 2012.

1. iwannadie

iwannadie

May 28, 2012
    So, I picked up a Bronco practice amp to go with my fender 50's reproduction p-bass and thought I would give some initial impressions. This is not a review though as this is my first amp ever so I can't really compare to anything else.

I bought it from amazon new(I am a sucker for buying stuff new Vs. used), I have amazon prime and paid $1 for next day delivery which is great. The price of the amp was the same as all the local places plus I didn't pay tax and had it the next day.

First impression out of the box, it is well packaged(I work for UPS so packing impresses me). The amp feels very study and well built out of the box, even comes with a USB cable which was a nice touch. I like the controls on the top rather than on the front, makes it much easier to use. The vinyl cover seems pretty sturdy and ready to take some abuse plus I think it looks really cool, almost a faux carbon fiber look. The grill is pretty solid and seems like it would offer a lot of protection for the speaker and the name plate looks nice. The handle is very sturdy feeling and doesn't feel like it will ever let go and allow the amp to go tumbling. The weight of the amp isn't bad, it is fine to lug from room to room as needed. I thought it may be to heavy to want to move all the time but so far it is fine moving from room to room. The guitar input being on the top I am not a huge fan of. I think with the input on the side if the cable gets yanked it can just pull right out. Being on the top it won't just pull out, I have been wrapping the cord around the handle just incase.

First time plugging in I was a little surprised that it is not that loud, 40w seems like a lot to me but I know it is pretty low in the musical world. After playing with it a bit the volume is fine for practicing. It will rumble the walls with ease and I find that I use the volume at 1/4 to 1/2 setting on the amp(half on my bass) and it is more than loud enough. Using headphones is really good and all the tones and effects sound just as good with headphones to me.

One of the main selling points for me were the various amps being emulated. I was really shocked just how much the tone changes with each different amp. I like practicing the same stuff and switching the amp type just to hear the tone change so drastically. Being able to change the amp type with the dial of a knob at any point is also very cool.

The basic effects are nice to have but I need to read the manual to know exactly what I am adjusting ha, the display lights make it easy to know what setting you are at though. Being able to save settings has been really nice also. I have already set a few types up that I really like and were able to save them easy and go back.

I haven't used the USB connection yet but I am looking forward to that a lot. It will be nice getting in there and having full control over the settings and save them. I also haven't tried the line in yet to run an ipod through it but I am looking forward to that also. I don't know how much I will use that, I will likely have a laptop or stereo near by that will have better range to play music than the bass amp.

Overall I am totally happy with the amp, the price is a little higher but I think you are getting a lot of options for that price. I was torn with going with a louder more stripped down amp Vs. this one with a lower wattage but more options but am happy I went this route. Being that I am just learning and practicing, it wouldn't help being super loud while playing poorly ha. I also really like the idea of trying out all the different amp types and then knowing what I want when I go to get a proper(Big) amp later on. It has enough volume to let you practice alone which is what it is meant for.

So there it is, initial impressions are this is an awesome setup.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You did well, and that amp should serve you well for your introduction to the low end. I just want to let you know, that although the bronco may feature several "amp models", don't let them fool you to think that they represent anything close to the amps they model. When you're ready to step up to something bigger, go out with fresh ears and start from scratch. Amp modellers can be loads of fun, but in the end, you're still playing the Bronco, and it cannot really cop the tones of completely different amps and cabs. Rather, it gives you a variety of tonal differences within that ONE amp. Enjoy it, and welcome to the club.

3. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

Aug 5, 2009
    Clinton, IA
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the world of bass. as you can tell by my avatar, I'm also an owner of a Bronco 40. For a practice amp it's great sounding and fun; something that still gas to be considered in a hobby.

You're not going to be able to run her much past noon because there's just no a lot more clean output after that. Plus, If you're using their presets you'll find most of them with too much bottom. Once you run your USB to your computer and start tinkering with the FUSE software you'll find lots of ways to tweak the tone.

It's not much of a jamming amp, which disappointed me a little, but for the bedroom practice session it's perfect. If you're like me you'll one particular model one week and get into a different one the following week. Right now the Bassman 300 is my friend.

There's a Bronco 40 forum over on the Fender site where a few people will chat about something to do with the amp. You should check it out. I've been lobbying with the "Mothership" to seriously consider building a Bronco Floor Pedal, like with the Mustang. I'd love to try it out with my gigging rig.

Enjoy playing, it's a lot of fun and a great way to hide from chores!

4. iwannadie

iwannadie

May 28, 2012
    Thanks for the input guys. I do understand that the emulation sound is not going to be an exact representation of the actual amps of course, but I am hoping it is sort of close ha.

I was just about to try and install the Fuse software but can't ugh. I am running mac OS 10.5.8 which fender says is supported but when I run the installer it fails. It tries to install some MS junk which doesn't run on my laptop so I need to look at it more I guess.

5. iwannadie

iwannadie

May 28, 2012
    Ah, I just looked again and Fuse is only supported on Intel based macs, which none of mine are, that sucks.

6. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

Aug 5, 2009
    Clinton, IA
    That's too bad. Yeah, the FUSE software has never been a problem to load and run. I'd go to the Fender site, click on the community form (sign up if you need to), and find the FUSE thread under Amps. You could drop them a note and see what they might recommend.

Honestly, the amp isn't nearly as versatile without the software because the control panel is fairly limiting. That said, go to the owner's manual and it will explain how to use the compression and effects knobs.

If all else fails, switch to Rockin' Peg Yellow and let 'er rip !

7. iwannadie

iwannadie

May 28, 2012
    Yea I was just on the forum, if they don't support the older machine though there is nothing else to be done though, I am just gonna loose out. The price of being a PPC legacy apple user I guess, once the Intel switch happened there's been just a couple things I can't run.

8. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

Aug 5, 2009
    Clinton, IA
    Well, here's your choice, I guess: you could keep the amp and at some point upgrade your computer, or return the Bronco 40 and pick out something else. If there's a third choice someone here will come along and offer it. That's what is great about Talk Bass. Good luck!

9. iwannadie

iwannadie

May 28, 2012
    To be honest, I am fine with the amp as it is, I mean having the option to go in and mess with everything is really nice but at this point I don't really "need" it. Maybe after a few months having the ability to go in and mess with settings would be helpful but right now I am fine without it.

It is too bad someone hasn't made a third party app to go in and mess with things. I can't imagine it is a terribly complicated piece of gear.

10. katalyzt13

katalyzt13 some dude

May 22, 2012
    Georgia
    I've been curious about how loud exactly the Bronco 40 will get - I guess I want to be able to play and be able to hear the amp clearly over any other noise in my house, and I think it should do that but I've heard a few people say they were surprised that the volume only went up as far as it does. Any input?

11. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

Aug 5, 2009
    Clinton, IA
    Good question. Volume is in the ear of the listener, but I can tell you from firsthand experience it gets drowned out pretty quickly in a jam with other instruments. That 'lil ten can only move so much air, plus that Fender-designed driver, IMHO, is cheap to begin with. Low level, it's fine, but go much past noon and there's nothing there.

One guy from the Fender forum actually pulled the amp out of the cab, running it another can and said the tone and volume is much improved. That's why I've been lobbying Fender to come out with a Bronco Floor Pedal to put those great tones in your rig of choice.

12. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Bumping this. I'm currently renting one of these and tbh I'm blown away by it. Great versatility and it records pretty well for me. Sure u won't jamming or gigging with it any time soon but it's an awesome practice amp!