1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Classic 70's Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman74, Mar 12, 2016.

1. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    There is not much information on the web except for the specs on these great looking jazz basses. 013-2000-300-2.JPG

The reviews I found were 50/50. It was either love or twisted neck...

What is your experience with these babies please?

Tbone76 and Felix1776 like this.
  2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Had one, made a very bad trade, total crap, sold it.

3. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Nothing more classy than a 70's Jazz.

4. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    What was wrong with it?

5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Sounded like garbage, terrible fret work and the neck was completely unstable. I am sure that there are other things that I don't remember. It was the second worst bass I ever owned, next to my very first bass that was a really bad import from back in the 70s.

6. Or there's an alternative. The Geddy Lee model

Okstatefan likes this.
  7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

For some reason, these don't seem to be as esteemed as the other basses in the Classic line...perhaps for good reason? I almost never see them here. I did briefly play one in person that another bassist was showing me at a jam and I couldn't really make a judgement call. Can't judge em all by playin just one anyway, so...

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

9. paulcicero

paulcicero

Dec 17, 2013
    Greece
    I got one in 2008 - first batches. It had a slight buzz on the 12th fret, which gradually evolved into a horrible twist. It also sounded very trebly and harsh to me, especially through my SWR SM 400. Apart from the buzz, the neck had a nice chunky profile, which suited me best, since I am mainly a P player. That said, I played one in 2015 in a music shop and playability was wonderful. In addition to that, it sounded more than decent through a Fender Rumble series combo.

10. I have a neck on one of my basses. it's really weak.

11. I ordered a natural ash Fender Jazz in 1972 with black blocks from the PX in Germany while I was in the service. Got it in early 1973. It was a total disaster. Four completely dead notes and four more adjacent notes with very little sustain on the D and G string. Wondered if Fender were sending all the "seconds" to Germany. Maybe they were. Loved it anyways and I was in denial about the dead spots for a couple of years. Ended up switching to a Rickenbacker and found the slightly shorter scale much more to my liking. Own 8 fantastic Fenders and Fender replicas now with 3 more on the way - but they are all medium scale - of course - with zero dead spots. Will never own a Fender standard long scale again. It was "classic" alright.

RichSnyder and SteveCS like this.
  12. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I usually prefer meatier neck. The Geddy Lee neck is kind of too skinny for me and I can afford tge geddy lee U.s. version at the moment.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  13. lukatch

lukatch

Feb 18, 2015
    So an authentic replica of a real deal late 70s Jazz ;)

14. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Most of the neck problems I've read about were from the early years 2008-2010.

What is your neck experience with recent ones???

15. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I had sunburst one for a while a couple years ago. Was a 2012 or 2013.

Looked great, sounded great, no neck issues.

I wasn't crazy about the neck binding. It seemed kind of plastic-y and "cheap" for lack of a better word.

16. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Lotta love for Squiers Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass...:)

17. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I have a "real" 1977 Jazz Bass, my brother originally bought in the 80's. It sounds and plays great, fantastic neck, etc......unfortunately it weighs 13-ish lb's and I really can't gig with it anymore, it's just to heavy.

Blue Moose likes this.
  18. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Wow. 13 pounds. Just amazing a 4 string could weigh that much.

19. A Gibson RD haw about 1 pound on that, but that makes a world of difference. And T-40s.

20. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Its that heavy Ash they started using for bodies, along with the inch thick poly and whatever they else they sprayed on. Its rare that I come across a heavier 4 string....