Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Classic Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Virus, May 31, 2004.

1. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    As a progressing bassist I'm starting to save up for a new bass, a jazz bass at that and I'm debating whether or not it's worth it to spend the big cash on a MIA or not. I've been looking at the Classic 60's Jazz but I can't seem to find where they make them. On the price list they are about $900 USD so a bunch more CDN. (lol I don't remember what the exchange is at right now)

So my question is, are the classic series basses MIA or do they make them all over the place like their other basses?

2. bennettsteve

bennettsteve Guest

Dec 14, 2002
    That particular bass is MIM, as indicated by the 013 prefix in the part number.

3. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    Thanks didn't notice that.

wow. $900 for a MIM bass...

If you can't already tell I'm looking for as close as possible to vintage sound and look. Not into Active and EQ'ing that much, so would a standard MIA be good to buy than? Can't afford the American Vintage Series.

4. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I got a 57 P reissue off Ebay for $649. It's a beaut. Mine's red. i also saw a 57 P sunburst in a music store and it was even more impressive but twice as much. Id say look for one of these reissues on ebay. They are luxurious looking and sound great, and of course are passive all the way.
    No if only the lead guitarist liked the pickguard.
    ;)

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The 60's classic bass is MIM, I must admit they are very well made and sound excellent. Not a bad alternative to a MIA bass. Feel is different, specs are also different. I like them!
    Also, I've seen these basses new w/gig bags for less than $700 bucks

6. if you want a cool fender jazz bass have a look at the geddy lee signature model.

or if you really want to nail the 60's jazz vibe then go with a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn

7. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    The 60's classic certainly does seem good.

I also want to get a MIA just for the sake of it being a MIA bass, but that is not entirely why so don't flame me. From talking to other people they've all said any MIA Fender they play, bass or not, has been quality. I'd like to stick with fender as almost every guitar I've owned and played has been made by Fender and I've been satisfied with every one. I have an MIA stratocaster and my friend has a MIM strat and when we play each others guitars we always prefer the MIA one.

All in all, paying the money for MIA jazz is not worth it?

As I said before, I want vintage look and sound.

8. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    Is that MIM?

9. I used to want a American Series Jazz but then i just said damn im not paying that much, and i went for a Deluxe Active Jazz...Which ill be buying next MONDAY!!!!!!!!!

10. if you want the classic look and tone from fender you want the American vintage line: http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?seek=electricbasses_americanvintageseriesbasses

however one of those is going to cost you at least $1000. or you could buy a MIA standard bass and put the vintage series pickups on it, and any of the other vintage accessories can be bought seperately and added on. (pickguard, thumb rests, pickup covers ect...)

11. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    Yeah I thought about the American Vintage Series but those are way out of my budget, I don't like the idea of active stuff because I believe the sound should be left natural, my amp Fender Bassman200 has a passive/active setting which I'll always use passive as I've said many times now, is more vintage.

I guess I'll get an American Standard J and put the cover on the bridge and switch the pickups.

Do you think anyone would buy the pickups that I remove off me? And if so, what are they worth?

This will be my summer project that will last much longer than the summer due to finiancial problems :rollno:

I'll have trouble finding the pickups and accessories around here (London Ontario). Dealers don't do much bass stuff. If you know any stores within Ontario or online stores with CDN currency I'd be glad to check them out.

12. Get a MIA Jazz. Musicians Friends has them right now for like $967 USD. Not a lot mor than the classic.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a MIM dlx jazz, a MIA vintage RI, a MIA jazz, a MIA dlx. The dlx jazz bass is a good bass for the money,approx $500 bucks. no vintage vibe there although a decent bass. The Reissue basses nail the vintage vibe but can be costly. The MIA dlx jazz has a boatload of tones but can also be costly. The MIA jazz bass is what I think you should get. it is a bass that needs nothing in the way of upgrades, just play it! Mine just happens to have Lindy Fralin pups in it (although nothing was wrong with the original pups). All basses I mention here sound vastly different. If money is a problem then I would say try out a 60's classic MIM jazz.

And by the way ,you can get a new MIA jazz for around $800 bucks w/o the s1 switch. The sunburst will cost more. Just look for an NOS bass (new old stock). I got my natural bodied maple neck MIA for $750 brand new in case with strap, wrenches and cord!

14. Have you considered buying used?

MIA Fender Jazz basses, used, in great shape, should be any where from $700.00 to $1500.00 USD depending on the year made. Check the for sale forums here at TB and Ebay, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the prices.

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. Hey Treena, I got my '57 reissue on Saturday and I love it. White blonde, ash body. The only thing is that the neck is taking me a lot of time to get used to (I'm going from a '71 B neck to that huge '57) but I cant complain. Just thought I'd tell you since we were having a discussion about the '57 RI's a few weeks ago! Peace, Justin.

16. Henko

Henko

Oct 15, 2002
    Sweden
    Take into consideration that the Classic series bass has smaller fingerboard radius than the american series' flatter fingerboard. IMO the rounded fingerboard is far more comfortable.

It took me a while to find out why I never really fell for the american series basses I tried until I tried one side by side to a Classic 60's jazz.

Compare them to see what you like.

17. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    Well based on everyones input I think I'm going to look for an American Standard J. I would consider used but I've not yet come accross one. When I get one I will replace the pickups with vintage ones and put a Chrome cover on the bridge, will the cover be hard to put on? I don't think theres screw holes or whatever there needs to be to put one on but I'm not sure.

Edit: I do not trust E-Bay from passed experiences.