1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender coronado bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    these things are sweet!
    [​IMG]

anyone have one? or know anything about them.
    i'd love one1

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    They quit making them a long time ago. Justin Meldel Johnson used to pay one, in the days of Beck.

Sweet basses, would love to play one.

3. God, I hate that colour. :scowl:

But I love the design.

4. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
  5. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    I picked up a neck (didn't know what it was) for $25, and asked TBers to identify: Fender Coronado I. I then bought a body from a fellow Tber (bassgrease), and just sent a money order to (a fellow Tber) for electrics (sans pickups). So, I'm on the way to putting one of these together.
    The bridge and tailpiece will be hard to find, I'm sure. I'm thinking Darkstars if everything else goes well.
    Very pretty. Full hollow body.
    That CL listing shows two switches on the lower horn; I don't know what that's about. I think they only came with the single pickup selector (II).

I'd love to hear more about these, and I'm in the market for the bridge and tailpiece.

6. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I never knew Fender made a fretless bass before 1970.

7. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    awesome! keep us up to date on your progress.

yeah i cam across a neck on ebay and did some research. i personally love the hollow body look and these things caught my eye. i'd love to get ahold of one to at least play. couldnt afford to get one anytime soon though...

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I wish they sounded better as they look really cool.

I'm not really a fan of them, pretty blah sounding IMO.

BTW, there is a prototype, authenticated by Fender, of the Coronado bass for sale at a little shop with tons of cool instruments near here, in Vevey. there aren't many authenticated fender prototypes around anywhere, making this quite a rare beast. if it was for a more generally desirable bass or guitar it would be worth a fortune: as is I think he's asking around $30,000 for it. He's in no rush to sell it, he takes it out occasionally to impress folk...

9. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    +1

I sold (or tried to sell) these when I worked for a Fender dealer way back when. They were gutless, heavy clunkers and had no soul. The Coronado basses and guitars along with that horrible line of bolt on neck acoustic guitars that CBS had Fender building were a perfect example of what happens when bean counters get into the guitar business.

There's a good reason that Coronado's don't have good vintage value!

I agree that they do look cool though.

Keep Low :bassist:

10. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    I've heard their original pickups were pretty weak. The body I have is very light. A set of Hipshot Ultralights might help prevent nose dive.
    I couple of Darkstars may be all that's needed to make these sound their best. An expensive experiment to be sure.

With all I've heard from fellow TBers about how pickups and strings have such huge influences on a bass' sound, I'm hoping that I will eventually have a worthwhile instrument.

11. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    4 individual machine heads!? :eek:

12. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    The 1967 Fender Coronado II Fretless Bass was defretted (sometime after 1967) by the last owner apparently.

13. Saw one on display in a local shop today, I would defiantly love to play one someday.

14. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Time for a re-issue, yes?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Re-issue hollowbodies aren't working for me. Ever since I got a vintage one, I totally get the hullabaloo about them, and mine is nothing special...just a late 60's Realistic violin bass made by Matsumoku. Neck's a little warped, but man, what a character of tone! Seems as though the aging process is much more beneficial on hollowbodies than solidbodies, and none that I've played have that character that makes the old stuff stand out. I think an old Coronado with Dark Stars would kick it. Unfortunately, $1600 ain't in my budget for a Coronado.

16. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Roger that, JimmyM.

I have an old EB-2 (hollowbody) that just sounds so different than all the slabs ive played.

Id like to have the Fender's version of the EB-2, but like you,,,$1600 is a bit higher that id like to spend.. I think Fender could make one stateside for half that. But they won't coz the kids wouldnt buy them....no market :mad:

17. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Take off a zero and it is still overpriced.

18. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    +100. I was there, too.

mech

19. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Anyone know why Fender used DeArmond pickups on those?

That struck me as strange because Fender has always made many different types of pickups.

20. I had one of these- for a week. My old Harmony hollow body sounded way better. DeArmonds were used because Fender did not make a surface mount bass pick up