1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfh218, Dec 14, 2018.

1. gfh218

gfh218 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Long Island New York
    Thinking about ordering a Custom shop Jazz Bass. Don' t care about making it look old or anything like that. Just want a jazz bass that kills. I know many of you guys have gone this route and would like your feedback. Played a few and they were well made. I have an American Professional that's a solid player, but would like something better.Thanks in advance

AlexanderB likes this.
  2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    They’re good...not bad.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

What is it specifically that you want to be better?

4. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    I did just that. All I wanted was a vintage-spec, first-class Jazz Bass to my likings.
    Best passive Jazz I have ever played. :)

FCS_64_JB_NOS_CAR_(1).

5. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    If you have the disposable income and your expenditure will not "break the bank", then go for it. I wish I could. I would order a completely original, in all aspects, an original, first issue fender pbass. Just my 2 cents.

Ace Of Bass and DJ Bebop like this.
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Slab body, single coil pickup, wood tug bar, two bakelite saddles?

Ace Of Bass and Lammchop93 like this.
  7. gfh218

gfh218 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Long Island New York
    Better playability. Whatever I put into it, I get back.

8. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I just finished trying out 2 custom shop basses. Both were wonderful instruments. Both were not as nice as my American Original P Bass and I opted for the American Original 60s J instead. It’s as special as the AO P Bass. If I were you, I’d try one out. They are what a Fender Bass should be.

AlexanderB likes this.
  9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Any good/well setup Fender Jazz is going to play great and give you exactly what you put in. How low are you trying to set the action on your Fender(s)?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Ace Of Bass and Chrisk-K like this.
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

That's kinda vague. Could you be more specific?

Is it an ergonomic issue, like the neck profile or weight, for example?

Are there other basses that rate higher playability than your MIA Pro Jazz? If so, what sets them apart from said Jazz?

Chrisk-K likes this.
  11. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Even a well set up MIM with fabulous fret work can offer you better playability

Sequential and DJ Bebop like this.
  12. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    I've yet to find a CS that told me she was worth the money. (Disclaimer, that's just me) ... And you'd better like what they sell you cause, that's it and you'll never get what you paid back if you change your mind, so, you better like it. ... I'd hunt down a Highway One and mod it to your liking, (the last of the affordable USA Fenders). ... Or a 70's Fender Jazz you can afford. ... (Someone has a 74 body and neck for $1700 in the classifieds at the moment. ... Not all original but, at that price you can do what you want with it)

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. Ever consider the Lakland J-style basses?

14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Just my opinion, but there are a lot of smaller builders out there who can make a killer Jazz to your specs for less than a CS.

15. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    In Fender custom shop you are able to order any type, any sound and look. You just need to know what exactly do you want, and need kind a lot of money.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    I have two CS's and I like them very much. They are well thought out and well made starting from the choice of wood. I have put Lollar pickups and Gotoh GB640 lightweight tuners on both of them. Those are reversible mods if I ever want to sell them. I have had basses from almost all the other Fenders price points and don't really care for them. I make money with these basses every weekend and I even get a tax deduction for buying them coz I use them for work.

If I ordered a new CS I'd get a NOS. They are really nice. The relic stuff is kinda stupid.

17. Yep. Like $3,000-$4,000!!!

18. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Maybe a lot more.

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  19. Crazy!!!

20. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I considered the Fender Custom Shop when I spec'd out my age 50 bass build. Ultimately I went with Sadowsky because they had every component I wanted in a 5 string jazz bass.

I think the most important thing in ordering a custom bass is knowing exactly what you want. If you don't and end up dissatisfied with the outcome, you'll take a big hit on the resale.

To the OP, best wishes on putting together your dream bass.

Bones

nilorius likes this.