Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender decals

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Dec 31, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Does anyone happen to know to know what years, if there were any specific, that Fender ran the decals for the p-bass, where they spelled it out on the length of the headstock?

I mean spelled out as opposed to sitting under the Fender logo like they are now.

I personally think that the decals (both p and J) look much cooler that way.

Also, anyone have any info. on that Pino signature?

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

If I understand you right, it's the CBS Fenders (68-85? Was that it?)

But yeah, it can be seen on the 70's RI and the 68 RI's, if I'm remembering correct.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Yea, I think so.

I mean the ones where it says Fender and the after that is says Precision/jazz bass spelled out on the length of the headstock.

That said, if it's the CBS (and I believe you're right) I missed that bit of info. on them. What is CBS and what happned that they don't do that anymore, because it's certainly cool looking.

4. Yes you are correct. CBS is/was Columbia Broadcasting Systems and they owned Fender and a few other musical instrument companies Rhodes Piano's and Rogers drums to name two of them. They Liquidated their interests in the companies sometime in the early 80s I think.
    I used to build Trombones for a company right across the railroad tracks in Fullerton California from the old Fender Factory.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    If you mean those "flowing" logos with the big bold letters that flow over and headstock that's from late 68 - 80 (or 81)

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Cool, thanks guys. Yea I mean the flowing ones. Thanks for the help and the info.