1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Deluxe Active Special Precision Vs. American Deluxe P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JerseyRich78, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Hey all.

Just wondering if any of you have owned/played these two basses and can describe the differences.

I am aware that the Deluxe Active Special is made in mexico and has a single J Pickup in the bridge position...How does this differ with the American version?

I am also aware there is a several hundred dollar difference.

I am a fan of the look and sound of the MIM version...Would just appreciate some input.
    Thanks.

2. Nada?:atoz:

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I haven't played the M version, but I have the Am, and it's a pretty well rounded bass. I'm sure it's just the normal differences between any MIM vs. MIA, except the Am has a big honkin' humbucker instead of the single Jazz pup. Which feels and sounds best to you(?), that's the question.

4. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    I think I actually had a thread on this a while back, because I was wondering the same thing. Basically, after comparing the two many many times, the jazz pup on the MIM is brighter and less full sounding than the humbucker on the Am. The humbucker doesn't have much high end though, but it has the thump.

5. Thanks!

6. I will say that the Am P Bass Deluxe is pretty BAD - ASS!!!

IMG_4106-1.

Pickguard from Marwady (Thanks again)

7. miss g

miss g

Mar 30, 2008
    I have the MIM deluxe. I like it, I got it because of its looks (maple/blizzard pearl) but I wish I could have played it first. Sharp frets hanging off the sides, scratchy pots, bridge broke and I couldn't get the back battery cover off (had to use duck tape then sanded it down). It plays alright and sounds fine but I wish I would have just got a standard P or Jazz. My Geddy Lee Jazz blows it away sound, feel and quality wise.

But it is pretty.
    DSC03289.

8. I did own an American Standard P(1999) before and I liked it...I just like the idea of having the J pickup there as well as it being active.