1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender experts required

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canuckshort, Oct 31, 2013.

1. canuckshort

canuckshort Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Hi,

I found what I believe is a 200X Fender Hot Rod P on the weekend but there are a couple of things that make me not so sure.

1. The serial number has an extra '0'.
    2. The truss rod adjustment is at the neck not at the body.

Everything else looks right (I think). It has Corona California on the neck plate and says made in USA on the head-stock. So what exactly do I have here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Serial_Number2.

Closeup.

FenderSmall.

Headstock.

2. canuckshort

Apr 16, 2011
    By 200X I meant the year not the serial number. Maybe 2000 maybe 2001? Sorry for the confusion.

3. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    The guitar you posted doesn't look like a stock hot rod P for a number of reasons.

Hot rod P tuners should have the F-stamp, and those in your photo don't.

Hot rod P necks have the truss rod at the heel, as you mentioned.

This would suggest that you have a hot rod with a swapped out neck, except the pick guard isn't correct either -- hot rods came with a special groove cut in the guard to facilitate truss rod access without removing the neck. The pick guard in your photo doesn't have this feature, meaning that at very least, the guard is aftermarket as well.

Hope that helps a little...

4. canuckshort

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about F on the tuner. Good to know. I was wondering too if the neck had been replaced. Do you think that explains the extra "0" in the serial number?

5. The machines don't look Fender.
    The string tree doesn't look Fender.
    There's too much fingerboard below the 20th fret.
    The bridge and knobs are too shiny, the knobs have the wrong shaped dome.

But I could be wrong too...

6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I agree with the above post regarding the knobs -- they would appear to be too curved on top to be hot rod-correct originals.

The string tree is not a match either.

I don't know quite what to make of the serial number, but yes, the neck is likely a swap-out.

The question is, is ANY of this guitar from a hot rod P?
    If it is a hot rod P, then it should be string-through --do you have a wider photo of the back of the guitar?

Also, hot rod P's had a somewhat higher-mass bridge than usual. Hard to tell from your photos, but you might scrutinize that detail for a clue.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not a Fender, imho. Tuners, fingerboard, body wood grain, cut-away contours, hardware as noted by others are not Fender to me. Could be a nice bass, just probably not a Fender. Appears to be a refinished body.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I would say it's a fake meant to deceive. It looks a bit like a standard Squier but the 11 hole guard and the length and shape of the end of the fretboard makes me wonder if it's even a Squier.

9. canuckshort

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks for all of the replies. it is a string through.

Would the body or any other parts have serial numbers that I could cross reference? I'm feeling lucky though that I only paid $300.00 at a local antique shop and not some crazy amount. Sounds pretty decent so I'll keep it for a while.

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    You could pull the neck and pickguard, you may find out a little more information. You might think about trying to return it, it's possible you may have overpaid depending on what the body and electronics turn out to be.

11. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    There are LOTS of fakes from china. Lots of fender and Gibson guitar and bass fakes.

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
  13. canuckshort

Apr 16, 2011
  14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Very good call.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yup...

- georgestrings

16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Looks to be fake- or at least quite a number of parts have been replaced. From China or the Philippines (saw quite a number of fakes there- even at what's considered a reputable music dealer , Fender, Gibson etc). The Serial number also looks suspect as it's a little too faded as if it rubs away a little too easily. - "Serial Number" and the "0" .

17. canuckshort

Apr 16, 2011
    An update...Bass returned, money back!

Thanks to everyone who replied for the education ans sound advice.:)

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I'm astounded at the number of fake Fenders that show up here.

Many years ago, I quit doing vintage authentication because of the number of fakes and the hostility of cheated buyers -- toward ME, not the grifters who gypped them -- but I never expected that people would ever stoop to even faking-up stuff like MIM Standards. :rolleyes:

I consistently advise against non-experts buying used Fenders because they pay far too much for them even if they're real and don't have some kind of problems.

19. canuckshort

Apr 16, 2011
    Couldn't agree more. I think I will leave the vintage Fender buying to the experts in the future.

20. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... add to that the incredible number of erroneous listings on sites such as Ebay, with flat out misleading information and/or item identification ... some intentional, and some just due to sellers ignorant of what they actually have, and it is a bit of a mine field out there for the uneducated buyer ..

.. TB has brought many of these to light, but for every one that comes here, I see several slip through ... JMHO