1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender FSR Standard J Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blues_bassist, Mar 17, 2010.

1. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm looking at buying a Fender FSR Jazz with the ash body, but I'm wondering what the ash body will do in terms of tone. I assume that it would give the bass a little bit more of a "sharp" tone. Anyone who has any experience with a bass with an ash body, I would like to hear what your take is on the ash body.

2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I have had two FSR Ash basses. The body looks really great, but I don't think it make a noticable difference in the tone. I would not buy one for the tone just for looks.
    Rocky

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I like them, and they are one of the best buys out there IMO

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have an FSR P, and I can't detect any difference between it and my alder P. The natural ash sure looks good, though.

Here's a pic when I first got it:
    FenderPrecisionAshMZ7004347.gif
    and after I installed a Warmoth fretless neck:
    FenderStandardPrecisionwHartke.jpg

5. I see these at MF for $100 less than the new standrad MIMs and wonder what I'm waiting for. I suspect they'll be gone soon, as the P is.

6. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    My jazzes sure do sound differend depending on the woods. The alder one is more mellow and warm, while the the ash is brighter and snappier. And heavier, if that matters.

7. I have an FSR Precision that I got on closeout from GC about a month ago, plus I have one of the new "upgrade" MIM Precisions as well with an alder body. The ash FSR does have more of a sharp tone. The alder is darker and fatter tone-wise. Both instruments have rosewood fretboards, and I don't think the pickups are THAT different.

Roger

8. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    That looks sharp!

9. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    What means FSR?

10. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    FSR = Fender Special Run.

11. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I have an FSR Jazz. Installed some Nordstrand NJ4s, an Audere preamp and D'Addario Chromes. The tone is absolutely killer.

12. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Hmmm... I would like to know more... are they good value? Available in UK? more piccys.

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Thank you.

14. They were available only in Guitar Center in the United States. They were a special run of the last generation MIM basses made in 2007/2008. There are a few still hanging around at Guitar Center stores.

Roger

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020