1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Geddy Lee or Lakland Darryl Jones4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theleteri, Sep 6, 2008.

1. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    I am trying to choose between the Geddy Lee and the Lakland Darryl Jones 4. the GL is a bit heavyer and the neck is a little thicker but has a smaller profile.

they both sound great! the GL is made in Japan and the lakland is made in korea. the lakland is on CLOSE-OUT at Sam Ash for almost 50% off list and is only $100 more than the GL.

What do you all think?

2. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Both are great! The Geddys that I've played feel too narrow at the nut for my tastes, they're narrower than standard Fender jazzes. Also, I'm not a fan of black-blocked maple fretboards. So, I'd go with Lakland personally.

3. I say play them both and decide your self.. You may find things you like and things you dont about either. Nothing sounds like a Geddy Lee, and if you like sreaming top end, then nothing at that price will touch it. And the nut width is 1.5, its the thickness thats different.

4. Gear

Gear

Jul 10, 2008
    Geddy, just because it is cheaper and it's made in Japan, more of a traditional feel on a Jazz Bass.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I don't know. 50% off the D.J. would be mighty tempting. I've been impressed with the D.J.'s every time I've played one. They're both good basses, so it comes down to which one you like best. Let us know what you decide!

6. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    To the OP I must ask if you've played them both, and which one made you smile and drool just a little bit more than the other? I'd have to go with the one that just seemed to make your heart go ' Yes! Oh hell yes, this is the one!!'

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    DJ

8. I've had both. The Geddy was a dream to play, and sounded just fantastic live, and of course, it looks great too. Nice easy neck to play, growly tone, outstanding bass in all respects.

However, I sold the Geddy, but still have my stunning Lake Placid Blue DJ4, which is even better than the Geddy, for me, in all respects.

Whichever one you go for, you'll love it. You can't really go wrong with either one.

9. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    i have played both on the same rig that i have at home. that is why i am asking you all, because i am having trouble deciding.

10. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    you gotta go w/the dj4 for that price heres a little incentive

IMG_2301.

11. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Now that's what I'm talking about!! That's sweet! I would opt for a darker pickguard though.

12. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The DJ is probably a little higher quality, and certainly has a better resale if you can get is for 50% off list.

13. :bassist:

I wonder what that would look like w/ chi-sonics

14. I had a Geddy and I sold it. I'm getting a DJ. Both are great basses, but I just prefer the DJ.

15. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Since you've played them both with your rig and it's a dead tie in terms of sound, feel et al...... do the bimbo thing - see if black brings out the color of your eyes/hair/jeans/teeth. If it doesn't, call 1800-Lakland!

16. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    For only $100 go with the DJ....you will NOT be dissapointed! Take a good look at the quality and build.....I bet the DJ is better....check the blocks - DJ = REAL Mother of Pearl; GL = May be plastic/may be painted (depending on when built)...

Also - the customer service is MUCh better and 100% more personal at Lakland!

Lastly - if you buy the DJ, you can become a member of the Lakland Owners Group (LOG!)....that should make your decision easy in and by itself!!!!

Good luck!

Doug

17. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I'm a huge Geddy fan (obviously), but I'd go for the DJ over a GL.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OP, be careful about sharing too much information. If the Lakland is 50% off Sam Ash, you better move quickly if you want it! Posting that information at a GAS happy place like TB is almost like begging someone to buy it from under your nose.:scowl:

19. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    +1, and a little more incentive, the passive variety. I played a GL briefly and it was very nice, but the DJ is pure magic IMO. With that good of a discount, it would be a no brainer for me.

DJ4.

20. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    well i have decided on the Darryl Jones and i put it on lay-away (i hate lay-away... i want it now!)

the tone won me over as well as the look and the weight of the bass. Also all of the good things that everyone has said about Laklands customer service. i hope to never need to use it but it is nice to know that if i do i will be well taken care of.

here is a pic to make you all jealous (i got the lake-placid with the rosewood finger-board

Attached Files: