1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender honeyburst p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty2867, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Rusty2867

Rusty2867 Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2014
    De Soto,Ks
    I looked at one of these awhile ago and really liked it but when I went back to Gc hoping to buy it both of them were gone.I have been checking frequently for them to have one,didn't really want to order one because they had two when I looked at them and one felt great,the other kinda meh.Now I see that Fender doesn't have them on their site anymore! Does this mean that they are discontinued? GC still has them on their site but Musicians Friend no longer shows them.

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    they were a special edition run of american specials like the sandblasted ones, you'll need to get a used one nowadays

Tbone76 likes this.
  3. Rusty2867

Jan 12, 2014
    De Soto,Ks
    I guess I'll see if my local store can have on brought in from another. Have any of you guys got one? How do you really like it?

4. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Yea, I loved those and almost got one last year. Great finish.

5. Dropzilla

Dropzilla

Jun 23, 2007
    The only thing that held me back from buying one of these when they were available was that i was in the market for a 5 string at the time. I really liked that bass. now im looking at getting a p bass early next year, and i am considering a sandblasted red, since im sure i'll never find the aerodyne p i want.

6. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I looked on Guitar Center and they are available. Here is the link: Fender USA Nitro Satin Series Precision Bass. I have not seen one in my local gc either.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    image.

MarkoYYZ, fretter and Tbone76 like this.
  8. Rusty2867

Jan 12, 2014
    De Soto,Ks
    Yeah I am going to check with my local GC and see if they can get one.The closest one I found to me was at a GC 200 mi away! Whats funny is a week or so ago they advertised it on a flash sale for $699 but out of 3 GC's within 50 mi none had it!

9. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I have one, and it's my favorite bass, by far. The American Special neck profile (slim-C) is the most comfy for me, but some people don't like it. Mine also weighs in at a hair under 8lbs. I did swap the pup for a set of Geezer Butlers, but the stock pups are good. My advice is, get one while you can.

Fielding likes this.
  10. JamasC

JamasC

Sep 2, 2014
    Nashville
    965A9E04-53D9-4891-AB53-6C97D5131943.

6AC4A7CA-5FA5-4D57-8F33-E3D3159AF416.

IMAG0521.
    IMAG0513.

Ballin'bass and Tbone76 like this.
  11. JamasC

JamasC

Sep 2, 2014
    Nashville
    I love this bass and it has cured my bass gas. So now I spend all my money on pedals.

Yawsbass likes this.
  12. Rusty2867

Jan 12, 2014
    De Soto,Ks
    I looked at the specs of the American Special P it just say c shaped neck while the Honeyburst p says slim c shaped neck

13. JamasC

JamasC

Sep 2, 2014
    Nashville
    It is defiantly a slim neck front to back. But top to bottom it feels wide. The neck is by far my favorite I've ever played My mim p-bass has a thick chunky neck front to back and it feels smaller top to bottom.

14. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    The Satin Honeyburst uses the American Special neck (it even has the stamp on the back of the headstock labeled "American Special"). I've played both an American Special P and my Honey P, and they have the same Slim C profile. I also had an older Honeyburst P that developed a twist in the neck. I replaced it with an American Special rosewood neck from the Stratosphere ebay shop, and the profiles we the same. I wish I didn't trade that one......
    Here's mine:
    image.
    And the back of the neck:
    image.
    The Honey P is an American Special model with the following exceptions:
    1-No Greasebucket tone control (early ones did have it, but it was removed shortly after)
    2-Hand stained finish with satin nitro top coat.

Hope this helps!

15. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    And here's a pic of my old Honey P with the rosewood American Special neck swap:
    image.
    This bass had a 2-piece body, while my current Honey P has a 3-piece. This bass was also lightweight, like my current one. I wish I knew who currently owns this one now.

lowdownthump, mark beem and Red Four like this.
  16. jvgreene

jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    I love mine! I think the neck profile is my favorite thing about it, though it's hard to beat that finish. I got it for a used price on Music & Arts website, but it was brand new. Might have been a floor model.

aB4JFkD.

For further reading:
    2012 American Special P Bass (HoneyBurst)

TB24 and Tbone76 like this.
  17. JamasC

JamasC

Sep 2, 2014
    Nashville
    Wish I could find a place in Nashville that stocks tort guards for this bass. It looks killer.

18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    The finish on these reminds me of my refinned Precision, really thin and not encased in thick poly.

Pretty, too.

OP-Good luck on the hunt.

Tbone76 likes this.
  19. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Is it not a standard 13 hole Fender guard?

20. JamasC

JamasC

Sep 2, 2014
    Nashville
    It is. Can't find one and I don't want to order online because I want to see the color before I buy it. The dark brown looks good but if it were more red I say more better.