Fender J Bass Issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimothythompson, Feb 11, 2006.

1. I just recently ordered a Fender Jazz Bass from Samash.com. When I got it, my bridge pick up didnt work. It kicked in after a few days but then it made this weird buzzing noise. It would stop when I touched the chrome plate with the tone knobs, kind of like something wasnt grounded correctly. I sent the bass back and they gave me a new one (after 3 weeks of waiting!) and I've got the same unresponsive bridge pick up problem. Now, unless the bridge pickup is just for decoration, I think my bass is defective. Is it worth it to wait another 3 weeks or should I take it to a shop to get it fixed? If that's the case, how much do you think it will cost? Could I do it on my own?
  2. Send it back and demand a functional instrument. If you don't get one, complain to your credit card company or PayPal or whomever you made the purchase through.
  3. ScoobyGoo

Feb 10, 2006
    It sounds like a shielding issue, but I would agree with the user above me, no point blowing money on something that might not be functional
  4. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets

I know most of us players want to play our instrument and hate to wait for mods, ungrades, and custom orders, but if you or I buy an instrument new, especially from a retailer like SA I would expect to have an instrument that is fully functional.
    I know you hate to wait, but make them fix the problem, have them check the instrument before shipping to insure that it is fully functional otherwise you will be forced to demand a refund. Just my 2 cents.
  5. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    what type jazz is it ? how exactly do you know it's not working ? in you response you refure to tone knobs does you jazz have more than 1 tone knob ?
  6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I had a similar situation with a fender guitar but the problem was major. I took it to an authorized repair center and we couldn't get it fixed. They sent it to Fender and two months later I got a brand new guitar. My problem was more serious. It was something wrong with the trussrod
  7. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Two in a row...that's really weird.

Are you sure that you know how the controls work?
  8. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    that's what I was thinking too.
  9. well it's got two volume knobs and a tone knob right? like if i turned one volume knob down all the way and the other up all the way it should make a sound right? well it doesnt do that. if i turn the top one down all the way and the middle one up all the way, no sound comes out. that's how i thought jazz basses worked. if not then i am the biggest idiot around. I don't want to send this bass back because they stopped making the Midnight Wine color and this was SA's last one.
  10. Are you sure Sam Ash didn't send you back the original bass by mistake? I've seen crazier things happen.
    You shouldn't have to send it back to them, just find an authorized Fender repair shop close to you and have them check it out. Some music stores get an attitude if you didn't buy from them but I wouldn't worry about that. Worse case scenario would be a bad pickup and you could keep and play your bass with one pickup while a replacement is on order.