1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jaguar vs. Musicman Bongo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sathington W., Apr 12, 2009.

1. Patience is a virtue, wait for the Bongo.

72 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Indulge your every whim, hit up the Jaguar.

27 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. So, I'm facing a gut-wrenching decision. It's about high time for a new bass, and I've got a budget of about $1000. I really enjoy versatile basses, and from what I've experienced, the Jag and Bongo are just about perfect. Which one should I get? Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Bongo, but I'm having trouble getting in touch with reasonable vendors.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if you have or know of a Bongo for sale for under $1000, PM me. I'm exploring my options. I've found reasonable Jags a-plenty, but precious few Bongo's.

2. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    i love my jag. just get the pickups grounded or noise cancelling pups.
    and with the fender you have the option of active or passive.
    with the bongo your stuck on active (not that it's a bad thing).
    i've played/had both for extended periods of time.
    the bongo is gone, the jag is still my number 1 bass.
    just my 2 cents.

3. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Get a Bongo and go used. It should only come in red and be called the Swiss Army Bass. Its that good.

4. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Go for the bongo..

Even if it does look like a toilet seat :ninja:

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    funny because I say that my 'Ray looks like a toilet seat with that oval pickguard...

6. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Is your pickguard yellow? :bag::p

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    Turd stickers FTW! :D

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
  9. Bongo for sure.

10. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    -feels like an idiot-
    different strokes for different folks i guess.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    you will not be sorry if you wait to get a bongo. I predict with confidence that you will still want a bongo if you get a jaguar. jaguar has a lot of switches and options and I was gassing for one till I tried them out. gas completely gone in about 10 minutes flat. if you AB it with a bongo I think your dilemma will be instantly over. if you haven't guessed yet, my vote goes to the bongo.

12. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I love the Jag, but the bongo is a superior instrument because it's more versatile... and that's the bottom line I guess xD

13. Total +1

14. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I'd get the bongo....

15. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    only when I pee on it...

16. Jawsh!

Jawsh!

Aug 21, 2008
    Central California
    I'd go with a jag. They're quite versatile, plus i kind of just hate how the bongo looks. haha.

sorry bongo lovers :D

17. Stradavus

Stradavus

Oct 21, 2005
    If you truly want the Bongo, wait for the Bongo. You'll only delay the inevitable if you buy the Jag now.

18. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    As a former owner of both, my advice is to go for the Bongo unless you really prefer Jazz bass tone. The Bongo is a cut above the Jaguar quality-wise IME, and I felt the Bongo was much more versatile. The Jaguar always had the Jazz thing going on, just different variations of it, where the Bongo was a little more of a chameleon. The HH Bongo won't do a convincing Jazz-type tone IMO, but it will do a bunch of other tones. If you get an HS Bongo, you can probably get some convincing Jazz tones out of it.

19. 76JazzRay

76JazzRay

Mar 30, 2009
    Arizona
    I've got the Bongo 4HH and a '76 Jazz. Completely different beasts. The bongo indeed is very versatile. Can get it to sound like a stingray or add more neck pup to fatten it up on the bottom. 4 band active EQ is nice too, especially if going direct.

For versatility, hard to beat the Bongo. I also like the feel of the neck. It's fatter than the Jazz, but thinner too. I can get the action real low too. If you are a slap player, the neck pup on the HH might be in the way, depending on your style. It seems to like to be slapped between the neck pup and neck.

I got mine on blowout at local GC a year ago for $900 new. I see them all the time for under $1000 used.

Best of luck.