1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass 1973 - Neck Stamp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adfunk, Apr 7, 2009.

1. adfunk

adfunk

Oct 31, 2008
    Hi - I just bought this 1973 Jazz Bass neck on ebay - it's bound with pearl block inlays. It's got a "B" (7Mar73B) stamp on the heel, which I've never seen before - it's usually "A" on a Jazz Bass neck isn't it? Can any of you experts shed any light on this for me. Did Fender make Jazz Bass necks, "B" shape? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Assembly line workers make mistakes too...obviously stamped wrong.

3. adfunk

adfunk

Oct 31, 2008
    So no such thing as a Jass Bass neck "B" shape?

4. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    The drugs were really strong in the 70's

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    What does the nut look like? There was no formal custom shop back then, but the Fender bass book does show a few examples of custom order stuff from the 70s including an early 70s P with black blocks/binding on a maple neck with a custom color body. I think there's also a pair of fretless bound maple Jazz basses (normally fretless P's in the 70's).

If the nut measures/looks right, then it's probably just an off decal. Or a fake. But anyone who is meticulous enough to make a decent looking fake neck stamp would probably know enough to stamp the A B or C correctly.

6. adfunk

adfunk

Oct 31, 2008
    coreyfyfe - That's what I think (or hope anyway) why would you fake with a very obvious typo? I haven't actually got the neck yet, so I can't physically measure it, but to me the nut looks like a regular Jazz neck. I've attached the other pictures,

Here's what the guy said in the description -he's suggesting it was a custom neck. Anyone ever heard of Frank Y?

Attached Files:

7. adfunk

adfunk

Oct 31, 2008
    Two more pictures,

Attached Files:

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Looks like an A neck to me, at least comparing it to my A and B neck basses.

9. brichards

brichards

Dec 2, 2007
    Hey I read your post way back about having a b neck on a 1973 fender jazz.

What is super funny is I just bought a 1973 jazz bass from Michigan and i live in Toronto that has the same dated stamp as your neck does. 7 MAR 73B . Could it be the same same neck?

that would be to funny if it was lol.