Fender Jazz MiM Truss Rod Adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by qbury, Aug 19, 2017.

1. qbury

qbury Supporting Member

May 20, 2008
    Left Coast
    Did Fender use the older style truss rod adjustment screw, (remove the neck) on other MiM's besides the Road Worn? I saw one in a pawn shop today. I'm curious if they made some of those or perhaps the neck was changed.

2. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Yes. 60's reissue is one example. Jazz bass has no channel route under the PG, bridge has threaded saddles and pickups are alnico with removable covers, unpotted unfortunately.

3. qbury

qbury Supporting Member

May 20, 2008
    Left Coast
    Yes, I forgot about those. it's possible that's what it is. Thank you.

4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    No problem. My opinion of the bass: I liked the neck tint but gooched the truss rod because the guy I bought it from hadn't adjusted it and it was bowed and lied about having tools on hand to adjust it. I took a chance and bought it and then turned the truss rod too hard and stripped it. My stupid mistake that I guess I had to make once. So I'm really not a fan of remove the neck to adjust truss rods. The pickups sound great but are fragile because they're unpotted and the wires are loose. One pickup was dead when I bought it and I was somebody miraculously able to solder a fix with some ingenuity. The threaded bridge is nice. Better than a MIM standard if the same price but to me the features don't warrant the original price bump.

5. qbury

qbury Supporting Member

May 20, 2008
    Left Coast
    The neck on this one definitely needs to be adjusted. I'm going to pass on it.

6. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Smart. Worst form of abuse there is.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021