Fender Jazz question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    My used Marcus Miller V is on the way.

I have always wanted one and I am happy with this deal. (My wife is sooooo very understanding. Thanks Bun)

My questions relates to stringing the bass through the body versus through the bridge as this one is coming.

What are the benefits in tone and playability with string through the body vs. strings from the bridge?
  2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
  3. NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    Stringing through the body provides a better sustain. I was debating on getting a American jazz delux 5 or a Marcus 5. I went with american 5 delux. How much did you pay for the marcus miller?
  4. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    In a nut shell the more surface area the string has to come in contact with the bass ,the better the sound transfer .
    such is the reason the bad-ass bridge is the up-grade of choice for most bassist,it gives the best surface area contact bang for the buck.
    I have a 60's classic re-issue bass,I put a bad-ass bridge on it and I did'nt notice a major difference,on the other hand I put one on my japanese p-bass that had a thin low mass bridge and it was very noticeable difference and well worth the money.
    So on a string through bass there is more contact area for the strings to transfer the sound through and resonate,so try the strings both ways and decide for yourself.
  5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I paid $1,170 USD for it. A lot cheaper than what it lists for in Canada so I saved a few $ for sure. Can't wait to play it when it arrives.