1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WilemT97, Aug 7, 2012.

1. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    After owning Warwick, Spector & Musicman Bass Guitars, I have finally got myself a Fender Jazz Bass! I can't believe how good it feels to play...just amazing! I FREAKIN LOVE JAZZ BASSES. I can't believe I didn't get one earlier! Its a MIM Fender Jazz Bass in, what was, Arctic White but is now an off-white cream colour. Pick guard is white at the moment, might change to Tortoise Shell or perhaps a Green Perloid? Opinions??

2. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    The world of Jazz Basses is a beautiful one, welcome to it my friend. Torts are pretty common on white, but I think Green Pearloid would look pretty sweet.

3. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    Its not letting me upload any photos, gimme a sec :'(

4. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    Thank-you! It seems extremely beautiful so far! ;D and thanks for your opinion, tortoise shell is veeerrryy nice but I haven't seen a Jazz Bass with Green Pearloid so I think I may go for that :D cheers again!

5. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
  6. B1Bs2Yo

B1Bs2Yo

Aug 6, 2012
    Norway
    Hi, agreed for sure. Fascinating also in my mind that there are so many variations in sound and feel, from the "funkish" Marcus Miller JB to the warm sound of the MIM Roadworn I own now (and never will depart with).

7. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    In each and every declination of sort. Fender's or anything else's experimentation on such a wonderful theme. Sadowsky, Lull, Lakland, Don Grosh...

The Jazz bass?!
    The electric bass.

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. Mossmatic

Mossmatic Compulsive Modder

Jul 19, 2012
    I know how you feel Wilem... When I was younger, I didn't want anything to do with a Fender bass. I always thought they were too "standard" or "old school" (e.g.; not "cool" enough).

After having sold all my gear prior to a cross-country move back in the '90s, I found myself in Northern Arizona without a bass and ended up buying a Mexican Jazz, just because it was the only decent bass at the local guitar shop that I could afford. I thought it was just "ok" at the time and I always figured I'd get something "better" when I had more money.

Over the years, I've modded it with Bartolini pups, a Bad Ass II bridge, upgraded hardware, etc, but I still wanted... something else. I've owned a lot of basses in the last 15 years (some real expensive ones, some not so expensive) and no matter how high-end my latest "gotta have it" acquisition is, it always ends up collecting dust, because I ultimately end up going back to the ol' Jazz. And every time I try out a new bass, the Jazz is always the standard that I compare it to.

I eventually came to the realization a few years ago that I'm just a Fender Jazz guy (despite myself). They're one of the most versatile and comfortable basses out there and they're infinitely configurable. After 15 years, it still plays like butter and it can growl like a beast or purr like a kitten. Every note sings (not a single dead spot on the neck) and it sustains for days (which I attribute mostly to the BAII, but still...).

As a result, I don't get GAS that much (except maybe for another jazz bass!). I think it's better to want what you have, than to have what you want, and every time I pick up my Jazz, I'm grateful I have it!

9. I've my MIM since 2007 and while it has had certain problems - which were mostly my fault - it is still my main bass. It is one I intend to keep and slowly tailor to what I like. However, it's playability is something I refuse to change, as it is the basis I use for judging my other basses.

10. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    I played a Fender P bass for 4 decades simply because that was what I preferred. I still love the P bass but I finally purchased a Fender Jazz a couple of years ago, mainly as a gigging backup and because a local fellow bassist had a brand new 2010 MIA model at a phenomenally low price.

I could not believe how much I loved the Jazz! I like the sounds I get and the way it plays and now my P bass is the backup! I still play my P bass quite a bit but the Jazz is now my go-to bass! I only wish I had not waited all these years to buy one! I was too hard headed about my preference for the P bass I guess.....

And like Mossmatic stated, I too am very grateful for my Jazz!

FenderJazzbass20102.

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    If you like that MIM, try a MIA. Wow! My MIA Jazz has a sweet tone. Unfortunately, it also has a dead spot on C# on the G-string. Argh. I still love it, though, and gig with it. I gotta do something about that dead spot, though. It's being a hindrance right now. Otherwise, it's a stellar instrument. I like Jazzes for their diversity of sounds. And don't listen to anyone who says they can't kick ass. They CAN!

12. WildBill987

WildBill987

Dec 8, 2011
    I do so love my 76 Jazz that I bought new back then. I picked a maple neck w. ash body and a clear finish. Figured it would be good wood if you could see thru the finish. I was sorta right, and it's a heavy sucker. But it growls and sings and gets biannual neck adjustments, due to our seasonal changes here in Iowa. It's my go to guy. But it has a brother bass, my 69 Precision that I acquired in 70. But that's another story.
    Enjoy the Jazz, and polish the groove.
    Bill

13. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Hello, I'm a newbie bass player with one question. What exactly is a "dead spot" on a bass? I keep seeing that term on threads and have no idea what it is and would like to find out so I'm sure that MY bass doesn't have one. Thanks in advance.

14. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    It's a spot on the neck (possibly covering more than one fret) where a string just doesn't seem to sustain and sounds 'dead', whilst it may be fine averywhere else up the neck. Fenders are apparently prone to them on the G string between the 5th and 7th frets (I think). My last bass, a Yamaha, had a fairly dead A at the 5th fret on the E. Not a massive deal, but if I wanted an A to really ring out I had to play the open string instead.

Hope that helps - I'm still learning all the terminology after more than a year of playing properly.

15. supremo

supremo

Oct 20, 2008
    Warwick,Spector & Musicman are miles away better than a MIM Fender J-bass.
    Hard to explain your preferences...:rollno:

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I love Jazz basses. I've played just about every style of bass out there. Some very comfortable but I feel the most comfortable with a Jazz.

17. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Or yours... :rollno:

That's the thing about preferences.

18. supremo

supremo

Oct 20, 2008
    No, some things in life are so absolute.
    A MIM Fender bass can't be better than a German Warwick or than a Musicman. Just can't!
    If you believe that it is, then you are completely irrespective or you work in Fender company

19. Every time I´m in doubt I take the jazz.
    Every time I want a happy ending recording, I take the jazz.
    Every time I want a happy ending live concert, I take the jazz.
    You just got to give some love to the jazz.

20. UntuchablSS

UntuchablSS

Nov 7, 2011
    Hi peeps, (long story alert!)
    I'm a 30+ year experienced (formerly pro touring/recording) guitarist and gave up playing even on a semi professional level not long ago.
    But then I was asked to play bass in a church band; to fill in for a guy that was leaving 'til they could find another.
    I didn't have a bass so I wanted to keep it cheap and bought an OLP MM5 copy and that worked. Then the music/gear bug bit me again, so I tried going fretless - having never tried before and after quickly growing out of a few POS fretless basses I had bought (keeping the cheap mentality) I bought a custom built Warmoth Jazz V Deluxe fretless.
    OMG...
    My life hasn't been the same ever since...I now play full time with that band and the sound and feel of that bass prompted me to buy (just this past weekend) another bass...a '98-'99 (by the serial number) MIM Jazz V Deluxe that I am totally in love with !
    This bass has the nastiest disposition !! It growls, it's warm, it's in your face, it's soft, harsh, everything I've ever wanted in tone. Just a plain ole BEAST of a bass...
    I love my Jazz's...I dunno how I went so long without them. =)
    peace !!