Fender Jazzman Bass? Different from a Standard Jazz??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassphreak, Aug 5, 2009.

1. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    Wanted to check with all of the Fender folks on TB. I'm curious, I've seen some reference to a Fender Jazzman bass, but can't find any information on one. I've seen posted on craigslist, as well as some hits on Google. I can only find one reference on TB and it only mentioned a Fender Jazzman.

Is this just a play on the Jazz name or was there a specific Jazzman model? Again, just curious. Thanks!

2. Totally may be wrong: But i thought the "Jazzman" was the guitar that was modeled after the Fender Jazz bass...?

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    There is no Jazzman bass. There's a Jazzmaster guitar. There's a Jazz bass. That's it.

Old Blastard likes this.
  4. Holy crap i was actually right?! :eyebrow: :eek:

5. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    OK. Thanks. That's what I thought.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    There's a Warwick Jazzman.

7. Maybe he's confusing the Fender Jazz with the Warwick Jazzman basses (1 Jazz-style pickup and 1 Musicman pickup).

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Sort of. I think the Jazz bass was designed after the Jazzmaster not the other way around.

9. Hey, i'll take partial credit :D

FWIW: I LOVE the jazzmaster guitars. One of the dudes i play shoegazey kind of stuff with plays one and it is suh-weet!

10. Yeah the Jazz bass was intended to be the bass counterpart to the Jazzmaster.

11. johnno1968

johnno1968

Aug 1, 2010
    All - sorry if I'm too lazy to read the entire thread...but- there was a 'fender Jazzman' Bass circa 1972 as I owned one

12. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Maybe we're talking about the "Fender Jaguar bass"?

13. The mad scotsman

The mad scotsman

Jul 10, 2015
    Green Army Foundation
    Oh ya there was a Fender Jazzman good luck finding one for sale. People just don't part with them. I think the 68 was considered the cream of the crop, my brother still has one. I think it's what Bruce Palmer used to play but I'd have to check some old videos. My brother always had feelers out with all the pawn shops in the SF bay area here, they knew he'd pay top dollar for any Fender Jazzman they got in. 12 years only 3 came in. I don't know the backstory, if they were a limited production sold through a single company or maybe a Canadian release something like that. All I know is they were next to impossible to find and you'd better have a strong shoulder they weigh a ton. Sweet sweet bass.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  14. David Henry

David Henry

Mar 24, 2000
    Salem, Oregon
    Please post pictures of this model; including the headstock with model name.

TheCrimsonKing likes this.
  15. David Henry

David Henry

Mar 24, 2000
    Salem, Oregon
    Please post information and pictures of this model; including the headstock with model name or I will have to invoke the dreaded:

4.jpg

FranF likes this.
  16. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    LOL.

17. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Show me a Fender Jazzman and I'll eat all 25 of my basses. Sheesh.....

18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Have seen Jazzman and Jazzmaster amps from Fender, as well as a Jazzmaster guitar, but this is a new one to me.

Oh, and a Carole King song, but I don't think that was a Fender product, despite any possible involvement...

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021