1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender JP-90 from pawn shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ksihawk7, Apr 20, 2010.

1. I was thinking about buying a Fender Pj-90 from a pawn shop for I think it was $230. The problem is, the pickups look like they have some type of rust(or it may just be some brown stuff on them). The stuff is on the metal things, not the whole pickup. And the bridge pickups are kind of uneven. Would it be cheaper to buy this and get it repaired, or buy a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass? Also, does anyone have this bass? And does it sound good?

2. These basses are USA made but i dont like them and alot of people dont. If someone said i could have a CV or JP90 i would take the CV if they were the same price.

However 230$ if pretty good if it plays well , there worth more then that

3. I owned a Fender JP-90 back in the early 90's. They were assembled in the US, but not made in the USA. I paid $250 for mine back in 1992, it was a decent sounding bass, but nothing great.

4. I would hope the "brown stuff" on the poles is rust, which a light rubbing of fine steel wool should handle.

Other brown stuff, you're on your own.

5. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I would offer him $125 for it and he'll see he paid $60 for it and should accept your offer.

6. DO NOT use steel wool on pickups. Magnets+metal filings=tiny bits of metal in your pickups forever. If the rust is really bad sandpaper might be a better alternative.

7. Oh, carp -- you're right!!! 1,000 apologies to the OP. What was I thinkin, what was I drinkin?

8. Well I'm probably going to get that bass and those pickups, so the cost is $330. After I do more research, of course.

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Scotch Brite would be the best to clean them

10. Don't worry, I don't have any steel wool accessible at the moment, so I didn't use any.