Fender MIA 5 string spacing.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassjamn, Apr 6, 2004.

1. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Since i cannot find a Fender V in a store nearby, i am curious to see if anyone can provide feedback here. I've already decided on getting one, though string spacing is pretty important. I've noticed lots of 5'rs have really narrow spacing which makes slapping more difficult.
    So how's the spacing?...
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im assuming you mean jazz?
  3. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I don't have exact measurements, but my American Jazz 5 has pretty wide spacing. The narrowest I've seen is the Ibanez SR series 5, followed closely by Carvin LB-75. In the middle, I would place the Roscoe LG series. And towards the wide side, I would place the Fender Jazz 5. It's just slightly less than 4 string spacing (assuming the stock bridge).

Hope this helps you.
  4. which fender model is it?
  5. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm pretty sure all MIM and MIA fender 5's have 18mm string spacing (or close to that).
  6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've got one of them and it's plenty wide for whatever you'd need to do with it. Slapping is a breeze, the neck is comfy as all hell even though my hands aren't exactly huge, and with a set of Bart 57J's it growls like a rabid dog starved for three days. You made a good choice sir, enjoy it. You're gonna love it and if the sound ever gets dull or boring drop in the Bart 57J's, you will NOT regret it.
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I believe the spacing is 1/4"
  8. how does that compare with the spacing on a Brice 5 string Jazz Bass?
  9. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Brice is 17mm and I think Fender is 18mm. Doesn't seem like much of a diff but it is most definitely noticeable.