Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIM jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jherrera, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    I just purchased a MIM jazz bass from a friend of mine and got some DR strings on it. Im pleased with the sound but reading reviews of the bass online ive noticed that several people have complained about the electronics. Should I invest in new pickups? Passive or Active? Whats the diffrence and I know active use batteries so how would that be installed on a bass that has no battery cavity and such? So help me out if you know anything about this.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you like the sound how it is, why change?
    I would leave it passive, IMO thats the true sound of a Fender Jazz Bass.

3. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    its true the sound is not bad especially with the new strings but the reviews didnt say it was sound quailty that lacked it was how the electronics were built, cheap. supposedly they can fail easily and aren't quality parts. I asked a guy at my local guitar store and he said Bartoloni (sp?) passive jazz pickups would be a good investment. Does anybody have these? are they good?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes they do fail easily. I used to have a MIM jazz, sold it to a friend, and after 6 months or so, it just..stopped working.

I have bartolini pickups in one of my basses. They are great pickups and sound really nice. It is a nice, dark, woody tone.

5. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    thanks. ill be getting those i think. ;)