1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    AD5D3089-562F-49AA-B449-A10B6D894927. Reminds me of this picture I saved

What do I spy with my little eye in teh back there?

Florinda4 likes this.
  2. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Here's my baby! Got it in 2016. Thinking about changing the pickguard because the guitarist in one of the bands I play in has a strat with the exact same color scheme and that's gotta change.

Was thinking of either a 3-ply black/white/black, or an anodized gold one, like I've got on my Epiphone ET-275 in the photo. What do yall think?
    bass.JPG

3. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol

Gold could be cool.

Either that, or you and the guitarist could get the same haircuts and suits, etc. ;)

creaturegods likes this.
  4. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Aged white pearl might look good: White Fender Jazz.JPG

5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Abalone is another possibility: Fender Hot Rod Jazz(abalone PG).JPG

creaturegods likes this.
  6. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Competition blue Mustang on Soul Train. Check out the dude in the yellow shirt at 1:59

winterburn69, dmt and Florinda4 like this.
  7. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    If dmt is willing to share his issues it would be only fair to share mine. After all of that work that my tech and I did to get my Mustang to where I was in love I misread the string height instructions and the use of credit cards as measuring tools set the strings WAY to high and upon a tune popped 3 of the saddle riser screws out, 2 of landed I know not where but was able to find one. After being laughed at by a number of my fellow bass men and being called a newbie and a FNG it was recommended I purchase a feeler gauge and use the printed specs posted on the Hipshot and Fender homepages which I did. Unfortunately I have to wait for the replacements to arrive that Hipshot so graciously is sending me. Until then I cannot adjust or tune my A string and I just sold my Gretsch and Hofner (whine whine snivel snivel).
    Well live and learn I guess.
    My first STANDING gig is in 2 weeks and hope they arrive in time.
    I felt with all of the help and suggestions given to me on TB, my coming clean was appropriate.
    Thank you all and I hope you take this in the spirit it was intended.
    Speaking of swearing, being a retired 32 year Navy Master Chief and having done my fair share of Boot camp duty I can assure you that it was quite BLUE in my room to the point I had truck drivers and bikers leaving.
    Until next time
    Bob

dmt, Florinda4 and SoulReflection like this.
  8. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hi Chief,

Get yourself one of these:

Babicz FCH-4 Bass Bridge

I put them on all my basses. Very easy to adjust. Here is the photo of my Mustang with a Babicz bridge. You can get them cheaper on the internet.

IMG_1007.JPG

9. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
  10. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Mustang PJ in this Starcrawler vid

Joshua Feierman and mikeyjm2 like this.
  11. Florinda4

Florinda4 Supporting Member

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  12. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts Supporting Member

May 24, 2004
    lol I literally just ordered one of these to put on my orange mustang. go figure

I've never installed a new bridge. I know it's easy but I got a question

can I/ should I tape the ground wire to the spot on the bridgeplate with copper shielding tape just to ensure a grounded connection that stays or will this mess it up somehow

13. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Thank you so much for the info. I really appreciate it. Is the weight comperable to the one I have? The suprising advantage was that the Hipshot helped to counter the neck dive I had. Otherwise being easy is a plus as it appears I can use all the help I can get.
    Embarassedly yours
    Bob

14. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    If the ground wire hits anywhere on the bottom of the bridge, you'll be fine. It's short enough where it isn't an issue.

15. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    The website has all the specs.

Bobhmcs likes this.
  16. nmirandattip

nmirandattip

Mar 3, 2010
    Here is my beauty! After a ton of agonizing I pulled the trigger on Capri Orange, now what the hell color strap do I get for this thing haha. Also planning on slapping on a pearloid guard AND MAYBE a red racing stripe, ala the older models.

Attached Files:

dmt, jbassbob, Bobhmcs and 2 others like this.
  17. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I got a chance to test drive my Mustang PJ twice this week with two bands.
    First night, classic rock into the house Peavey 15" combo. It was a gas to play and had the right 'Wump' bottom end I call the sound of a watermelon landing in a pool. Something wasn't quite right.
    Today I dropped in a SD 1/4 pounder. I have one in a P-bass I quite like. Rehearsal, different band, same house amp. Night and day. Has that tremendous bottom but also has a massive attack. Really enjoyed myself thru a setlist of Zep-ish rock.
    After two nights A) I'm sold. This is a keeper. B) replace the switch with a blend pot, specially since the 1/4 pounder has so much more output than the stock J. C) Taking it to the guy who did the racing stripes on my car for matching Burnt Metallic Orange racing stripes, a la competition mustang. D) A high mass bridge. I don't hate the mexi bridge, but I've had height adjustment screws loosen on me. I'm thinking white pearl guard, and white p/u covers.
    She's a work in progress, but so far I'm gassed.
    I LOVE some of the modded PJ's on the pages. These basses scream 'Turn me into a muscle car'.

lowplaces, G19Tony and Bobhmcs like this.
  18. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Quite a difference hunh?! I also replaced 2 P pups with quarter pounds as well. They seem balance better. The difference was almost shocking in a good way as I was not expecting that grade of a difference. Tonight I had my first gig Standing up as the repair kit for the saddle screws made I t last night. We performed a private party with about 75 to 100 in attendance. I asked the band what should we open with and in unison they all said White Room! The lead guitarist said "Let's see what that puppy can do!" I was playing through a 120w Marshall half stack with a 4X12 speaker box. The audience was kinda noisey at that moment but I hit the first 4 count note and before went to the second the crowd was dead silent! Whoa what a rush! I haven't played other than sitting since putting my '72 P Bass away because of the RA. That was almost 6 years ago. I am glad to have another Mustang owner relate a like experience. Thank you. Now I know the mods were not in vane.
    Thank you to one and all who helped make this experience possible. Without your help I probably would be sitting back by the drummer discussing today's ball game in my previous position.
    Life is good as it should be.
    Thump On!
    Bob

19. Joshua Feierman

Joshua Feierman

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I just got this one on Reverb for a couple hundred. I woulda preferred something a little more refined, but it seems like all Mustangs other than the Offset Series are costing what for me is big bucks lately, even Squiers. I didn't want the J-Bass pickup (or a hole where one would be). ieqh9zyzrrv0ffdfmrtz.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    gln1955, GoesThump, Uncle K and 5 others like this.
  20. Sean Brookes

Sean Brookes

Apr 28, 2017
    I agree with what you’re saying. Surely, sometime in the next few years, Fender will bring out a more traditional Mustang bass! I’d love a Mustang, but I don’t fancy the PJ and I don’t want a road worn sig either!

Love the colour on this one you have!

joesnewmatch likes this.