1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts Supporting Member

May 24, 2004
    what is this bass

2. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Nice looking finish in that one, Joshua Feierman. Looks great

3. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    I’m with you - I think I’d like a JMJ, but without a worn finish and with a few color options to choose from. The ‘JMJ’ part could stay, but I’d also be perfectly fine without it as I wouldn’t be buying the bass because of any association it might have with Justin Meldal-Johnsen (though I dig Beck and have nothing against Mr. Meldal-Johnsen. In fact, I salute him as a fellow Mustanger!). If no signature would drop the price, I’d definitely prefer no sig.

My main concern would be that they’d drop the JMJ’s nitrocellulose lacquer finish if they come out with a non-signature model — I’d definitely buy a white JMJ spec-ed one with a non-aged nitro finish if they came out with one. Or surf green, or pretty much any pastel, or a really nice burst

OllieDox likes this.
  4. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    That's a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass. I keep hoping Squier will bring that one back.
    I even wrote to them about it. Maybe I should start a petition.

It was released at the same time as the Squier Jaguar SS, and most people
    bought the Jag instead of the Mustang, so they dropped it.
    Now Mustangs are hot, especially the P/J, but the timing is right for a lower cost Mustang again,
    and I think it would do really well.
    If you're interested, write to Squier about it. Maybe enough voices will get them to listen.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    GoesThump likes this.
  5. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Finally found a Torino Red PJ in a local shop. I've been hesitating to order one because the photos online retailers have posted make it appear as it's not the Torino Red I'm used to seeing on older instruments. But yes it's definitely the Torino Red I wanted it to be !

Brand new instrument that the shop had just set out on the floor about 20 minutes before I walked in. The pickguard doesn't look mint green though. Perhaps it is, but I don't know. Looks more off white.

Here are shots in the Sun, shade, and auto flash.

0707180957a.

Either way I'm glad it doesn't look very minty.

I sold my Precision Bass because the scale and neck profile was tearing my fretting hand up. I played this thing in the shop for nearly an hour before I brought it home and my hand felt fine. Very comfortable.

The switch. As soon as I plugged it in at the shop it was in the neck position and as I moved it to the bridge position it made the static noise everyone mentions. Also the bridge pickup wasn't working. So I looked and seen that the nut was loose on the switch so I rotated the switch a bit and the bridge pickup came on. I tightened the nut down on the switch and flip the switch through all three positions about 10 times or so and no noise or issues. Still none since I brought it home.

Got to get rid of those stock strings though. I want to put TI Jazz Flats on it but I'm seeing conflicting comments. Some say the TI Flats are fine for the string through models but not the top load. Some say they work fine on the top load.

Anyone have a definitive answer ?

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ Nice! I'm enjoying mine. The switch body is not grounded (it should be) and by flicking it back and forth, you've discharged the static. It will build back up. Shielding fixes all the noisy switch problems.
    Enjoy it!

lowplaces likes this.
  7. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Thanks !

I followed your other thread and you mentioned that you smoothed the fretboard.

What did you use to do it ?

8. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
  9. Got myself a PJ in Torino red. Beautiful bass but it needs some mods to be used as my no 1. Here is what I`m doing to it.

Fender Hi Mass bridge. The strings will be slightly further back allowing more adjustments.
    105 d`addario strings
    Tonerider P pickup, wont bother changing the Jazz one as I don`t really use it much.
    The 3 way switch is crap and in a stupid place for me so a set of dual concentric pots are going in, like the 1st Jazz basses.
    The nut. You can tell these nuts are made by the bucket load and whilst it does the job ok, it is being replaced by a quality one.

To be honest, the bass could be gigged the way it came out the shop but I intend to use this as my main squeeze as I`m having issues with my fretting hand so it`s worth spending £200 to get it playing the way I like it. Will post a pic when it is done.

dmt, lowplaces and SoulReflection like this.
  10. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    I don't need a number, but I this used JMJ that I just got. Came with the Deep Talkin Bass flats on it. Sounds great! It had the thumbrest moved, so there it stays.

I wish it was available in Fiesta or another non-blue color and not reliced, but it's growing on me. It's a really nice complimentary sound to my precisions.

Ps - the strap is supposed to be ugly. It's an ugly of the month from Jaykco guitar straps! Ha.

N70tOLgLDWqyAmoZdsVZqoVAUDM8EUbk-97wAj-f2NJoEItJxoj_pJbr0NDkD54g4XCZJt7rnQ2bUTBuDM5UbiXT=s979-no.

Attached Files:

rodl2005, Uncle K, Florinda4 and 4 others like this.
  11. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Well, they really goofed, because that strap rules. Congrats on the new bass!

dmt likes this.
  12. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    That is the only instrument I have that it works with the colors....

13. OllieDox

OllieDox

Jun 13, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    This. I actually was really hopeful that they were going to come out with different color options at Summer NAMM because they have the MIJ mustang on the Fender US site pictured on the description page and listed the JMJ as ‘unavailable’. I even called Fender playing naive saying that I want to buy that model. The legitimately helpful rep told me it was a discontinued model and suggested looking at a used site to purchase. I would anticipate they’ll come out with a more traditional Mustang next NAMM given the success of the 2 recent models. I hope so at least.

dmt and Sean Brookes like this.
  14. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Does the pickguard on yours look more white than mint ?

15. Joshua Feierman

Joshua Feierman

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I'd have bought a JMJ, but for my apparent bommitment to being penny wise and pound foolish. It's pretty much exactly what I want.

Looking at the Reverb pics of the Vintage Modified (after I made my impulse purchase, of course), it kind of looked in one of the pics like the string alignment might be a bit weird, with strings to close to the bass side. I'lI find out soon enough. Nothings some wood glue, a few toothpicks and 15 hours couldn't fix. If the neck is anything like a Bronco bass, I'll be pretty happy.

16. It`s in the shop getting the wiring mods done but if I remember it looks more white than mint.

lowplaces likes this.
  17. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Mustang PJ owners.

The adjustment screws on my new PJ are extremely tight. Is this normal with these ?

Also the bridge pickup seems to have very little adjustment at all. Normal ?

18. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    On mine, yes and yes. I thought it was just me/mine. After working the screws back and forth a few times, it did get better.

lowplaces likes this.
  19. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Ok, thanks.

Just never encountered screws that tight before.

When my strings get here I'll take a look under the pickguard might drill them out a bit.

20. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    The wiring of the pickups isn't great and in my case the bridge seemed stuck because the wiring does some hard 90 degree turns. I opened it up to reshape the bends to allow for more height.

lowplaces likes this.