1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender neck delamination?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToneMaven, Mar 16, 2019.

1. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    I am about to do some electrical repair on a USA Fender P with a maple, satin finished neck and I noticed something odd, between the twelfth and thirteenth fret. It's only visible at this angle. What do you this is happening here?

P Bass Neck.

2. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    There’s nothing to delaminate because it’s a 1-piece maple neck. It has a skunk stripe on the back right? Must just be an area that didn’t get sanded flat enough before the finish was applied.

3. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    No skunk stripe. One piece maple neck with a maple fretboard(glued to the top of the maple neck). I cant believe that an entire fretboard was sanded down except for one spot in the middle of the board.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Can you feel it with your fingers?

5. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    Yes, it's raised like it looks in the pic. Tiny, but you can feel it.

6. saabfender

saabfender Banned SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Looks raised by water. Like after the fretboard was cut but before it was finished. Pretty harmless flaw. It may have left the factory looking like that.

ToneMaven likes this.
  7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

WARRANTY

8. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Ahh, it’s a 2-piece neck, so it probably is delaminating. The vast majority of maple necks are 1-piece (with a skunk stripe), but that’s why I asked. Definitely warranty that like 96tbird said if it’s not too old.