Fender Neck Swap

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Nov 26, 2003.

1. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    Will a Neck froma Fender Geddy Lee Jazz fit on a mexi Standard P Bass?
    I'm almost posivie it will techinically fit like hole spacking but will the action be messed up?
    and one ever tried dropping a j neck on a p bass?
  2. It's technically a good fit, but...

The Geddy is Japanese and the body is Mexican. Small variations from the disparate origins of each neck could have some effect on fit. But remember, that a perfect fit around the vertical plane of the heel isn't too important. It's more important that the contact area under the heel and between the mounting bolts is perfectly flat on both surfaces.

J necks on P bodies are a common swap!
  3. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Since i have become semi good at bass repair i enjoy building 'FRANKENSTEIN' basses out of odds and ends that i have lying around from other projects.
    And for the most part Fenders(providing that they have the same number of neck screws)are very inter-changable,even some other brands fit well with others,just recentely i put a Hammer neck on Fender body and with a good set-up I now have a good beater bass.
    So chances are the neck will interchange well with the other body,and if it needs a bit of adjustment bring it to a tech for a final fit.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I much prefer my Fender's the other way around, with a P-bass neck on a Jazz bass. If anyone's got a maple P-bass neck I may be interested :)
  5. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I just posted in the classified section.

I have a 2002 MIA p-bass neck I wanna swap for a J-neck. Mine's rosewood tho, and I'm looking for the same if possible. Preferably a J-neck with the graphite stabilizing rods, too -- 2000 or later MIA. Any luck? PM or e-mail me if so...
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sorry dude, don't have a Jazz at the moment!