1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender nylon strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by powderfinger, Aug 4, 2012.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    So Id never really used nylon strings before, but I had taken a pair off a P bass I bought a couple years ago, and replaced them with steel rings. The other day, I put them on my bass, and I really like the feel to them (esp. pick playing). But the question is, at the store, they seem to have only heavy gauge strings, 110s if Im not mistaken? Anyone know of any nylon strings that make a lighter gauge set?

2. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    D'addario's nylon has the smaller gauge 105's I think.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Correct. D'Addario makes the smallest gauge nylon tape wounds.

4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    GHS are also .105 for the E. .050-.105

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Oh yes I forgot about that :)

6. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    I don't care for the Fender nylon tapewounds. I think they're too bright sounding and rough to the touch compared to other brands

7. Fenders technically have a larger diamater-mainly due to the nylon wrap IMHO. The actual metal string part, though, is a bit thinner and pretty low tension. Long story short, you may have to open up the nut slots a bit. Also more than likely you'll have to loosen up the truss rod and raise the action just a tad to compensate for the "floppier" tension. Not a bad thing necessarily, just different. In my case I run 'em mainly on a fretless and the ease of playability saved my playing life from the dreaded tendonitis monster.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This. By tension comparison, the tapes most closely resemble a .095-.035 set.